We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Home Ownership

flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Last Sunday morning I listened to Sarah Dunant on Radio Four, Points of View. She asked whether the Grocers Daughter, Margaret Thatcher, ever thought of the chaos she caused with her quasi religious belief in Home Ownership.

In my family and going back to the forties even my aged Grandmother wanted to own the house in which she lived. My Parents as well and they all did it for security of tenure and not to make a mint of money.

I wonder if Sarah Dunant is a home owner?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Like most things it's a curates egg. Some people wanted to own their home and some were happy just paying rent. What she tried to do was to make it easier to buy from the local council if you wanted to.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

All I can say when I bought my council house it was a no brainer.

Either buy it or watch your rents going up every year.It was cheaper to buy it.

The thought of making money out of it never occurred to me.

With a bit of luck maybe one of my grand children may benefit out of it.

I thought then and I still think now that it was a bad desission by the Tory party to sell of most of the council houses.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

What Thatcher created was a system where there is far too little affordable "social housing".

Not everyone can afford a home, in fact almost no-one can afford the deposit on a first home, so now we've got this crackpot scheme where parents can use their pension pot as security on a mortgage - that'll be fun when the kids default and the parents end up with no pension...

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I have always been of the mind that I buy it if I need it not rent. But it does depend on what its for, like it could be Leasing a Car or if on Mobility to get one using the Mobility part of your Monthly, I have a old Renault Laguna 1.9tdi I thus can us my money as I want. But do then haver the problem of MOT and insurance. But at least it's mine, when I worked for my self, if I needed a Tool I had to think about the Payback if to buy or hire. I mostly bought. But the problem with that is that everybody used to think they could come and borrow tools, I soon put them right on how I come by them

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

woodchip

I'm sure many more people are of the same opinion, but the stumbling block is the size of the deposit needed for a mortgage.

Round my way the cheapest house you'll find is £125k, and as this is a semi-rural area, wages are generally low.

If you're on £7 an hour (based on the local paper job adverts, that's a good wage round here, which is mostly factory, hotel or shop work), your annual salary is around £14k, so a house is around nine times your salary.

As for Motobility, ATOS are taking DLA away from anyone who's not on a ventilator. This happened to my girlfriend who immediately lost her car, and therefore her ability to get to work, as some days can barely walk, so the 1.5 mile uphill walk to the bus stop is definitely out. So she borrowed the cash from her dad to buy a car, so assuming she wins her appeal and gets the DLA back she will use the money to pay her dad back. That way when they change the scheme to PIP and she is in danger of losing the benefit again, at least she won't lose the car.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

House ownership can have its highs and lows, and I suppose the Right to Buy was a high to most people at the time (it certainly was to one council leader), because this gave the opportunity of not having a landlord and as it was security of tenure, especially perhaps in rural areas with tied arrangements.

One problem that seems to have risen over the past few years with Right to Buy property, is the lack of maintenance by various owners, and some of these old council properties are in need of vast improvements or essential repairs. In some cases this as led people to sell their property to 'instant cash buyers' with the view of re-renting back off the new owner, and possible future problems pending with some of those arrangements.

Over the years the various governments (mainly Labour) have introduced grant funding schemes under various names like Stay Put, Wind and Weather etc, so council's would offer these government funded grants to poor quality housing. Sometimes though the council's didn't go far enough in being fair, or dividing the money available equally, which caused a number of problems for those seeking help.

Around my neck of the woods, we have ex-council houses that a fetching very little, because of poor maintenance, and the council tried to purchase some of these properties back at a fair market value price. But even that scheme as had its shortfalls. Some of these Right to Buy properties were purchased originally for as little as £8/12.000 with discounts, and at peaks after Right to Buy were being valued at £110.000 or much more. Now some are being auctioned at £60/£70.000, with expected £20.000 refurbishment plans for developer's with funding available.

Anyway, if you have and own property, then it might be a case of any siblings, the government and perhaps not your chosen friends or the charity of your choosing who might benefit after your departure from this world!.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

What Thatcher created was a system where there is far too little affordable "social housing".

Probably the majority of council houses as they were then called were sold to tennants that had been in the house for some time and intended staying there, so the house was effectively out of the available pool anyway.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

oresome

The money from selling the houses was supposed to be used to build more, but for reasons that are many and varied it wasn't

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Sarah Dunant (pronounced Doo-nant) also talked about the steady proliferation [increase] of the various Charity Shops we see on our high streets, up-and-down-the-land ... most of these ex-commercial properties[formerly residential abodes], could be re-converted into places where people could live.

Sarah said that she bought most of her clothes at Charity shops ... I was almost tempted to buy a long wig today...for a fiver...but I didn't have enough dosh in my pocket toupe (to pay).

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I would imagine that most young couples aspire to own their own home one day - I hardly think there can be many people who wouldn't want to do so if they could afford it.

What Margaret Thatcher did was make it possible for far more people to realise the ambition of home ownership, and of course she was right - people fell over themselves for a chance to call their rented home their own.

Nowadays young couples have virtually no chance of getting a mortgage unless they have a substantial cash amount - often provided by parents - to kick start the process. It's harder now than before, which is why so many young mothers end up having to continue working whilst paying out substantial sums to the nurseries that have sprung up all over the country. In London in can cost upwards of £60 a day to keep a young child in a nursery whilst both parents work. £300 a week on top of a crippling mortgage payment is a massive commitment, and yet millions of them do it for the chance to own their own home.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more