We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Where has everybody gone?

Nontek
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just checked last Posts in Threads ....

Helproom ........ 2 Hrs ago. Beginners ....... 3 Hrs ago. Consumer Advice.. 6 Hrs ago.

Don't think I have ever seen the Site so empty!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

sunnystaines

"...there is the risk where it slows too much and regular readers start visiting less often and drop off"

I agree, as do my colleagues, which is why we are actively looking at ways to maintain a balance between commercial considerations and site speed. There are other IDG sites based in the UK, and the development team has to deal with all of them - I don't have exclusivity as far as their time is concerned; we have to wait our turn. It's how things are, and I'm sure you would prefer that I told you the truth.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Currently I find My Posts to be very slow to open.

There is also something odd about the thread about radiators. FE is shown as the last person to post but there are 2 later posts.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Woolwell

The forum ghost is at work again.

You're right about 'My posts' - we'll take a look.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"there is the risk where it slows too much and regular readers start visiting less often and drop off"

Amen to that.

A year or so ago I used these forums almost exclusively, but I now find I am spending more and more time elsewhere.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

My current theory is that many people now view the site on their Smart Phones, rather than waiting till they are home and able to use their Lappy or PC.

However, I also believe that adding a Posting to a Thread, or even creating a new Thread, is relatively difficult/nigh on impossible, with an iPhone or any of the other Smart Phones. That would certainly explain the increased traffic without a concomitant increase in Postings

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Wee eddie

You may not have a smartphone otherwise you would realise that your last post is incorrect.

Posted from my smartphone.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Yes, I sometimes post from my iphone without a problem!

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

In which case, the second part of my theory is dead in the water, but the first part may be correct.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes