We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Where has everybody gone?

Nontek
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just checked last Posts in Threads ....

Helproom ........ 2 Hrs ago. Beginners ....... 3 Hrs ago. Consumer Advice.. 6 Hrs ago.

Don't think I have ever seen the Site so empty!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Phil Ocifer

Digital Spy is a superb site, but then it should be - it has a team of 50 people running it, and has the financial backing of the Hearst magazine group, which publishes around 20 magazines in the UK alone. There's a great deal of money being pumped into the site because it generates traffic and advertising revenues for the magazines - both in the print issues and on their separate websites. A single column colour ad in Cosmopolitan magazine costs £114 a centimetre.

We're in a very different, much small market sector. We need online advertisers if we are to keep this big site running as a free resource.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

We're in a very different, much small market sector

I thought IDG group was supposed to be a pretty big publisher?

WTM

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

WhiteTruckMan

IDG is the world's largest publisher of computer-related magazines, but that wasn't the point I was making - the market sector in which we operate has fewer potential readers than the Hearst Group.

They publish magazines with a mass audience appeal - Good Housekeeping alone has a circulation of around 4.5 million. Cosmopolitan has just over 3 million, and there are another 18 titles on top of that.

Our market sector is smaller, as I said, and each magazine in the group has to pay its way, which is as it should be. We can't go to the group for a hand-out if we get things wrong financially.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"We can't go to the group for a hand-out if we get things wrong financially"

Not run like the EU then ;)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

lotvic

Things work a little differently in the commercial world.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

FE

Thanks. It looks a lot clearer in that light.

WTM

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Up to speed again, now that's more like it!!

Hope it lasts.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

if your are a reader that views many of pca forums and reads several threads. its becoming a real annoyance waiting for each and every page to load.

is there anyway all the slow background ads\cookies etc could load on the first page of your visit then leave you you surf normally for the remainder of the pages you want to view. I find i view a lot less threads now and only view what i think is worth the wait as it is getting very frustrating.

i know the pca team are working hard in the backgroud to fix the issues. but had to see how many other readers getting put off too.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

sunnystaines

And there I was, sitting here thinking how fast the site is running at the moment.

A word of explanation about the ad thing...

They load into the pages from ad servers. Each time you click on a forum page link the page is created dynamically, using information from the database. It's a unique page, created specially for you, and some of the ads that load into it will be based on content. View a thread about the best way to sharpen a lawn-mower and you may see Google ad links to lawn mower sellers. Not to put too fine a point on it, if we had one set of ads appearing on every page that was requested by every site user our advertising revenue would plummet.

You must be thoroughly sick of hearing us say this by now, but the fact is we need that revenue to help cover the very considerable costs involved in running the site. Put bluntly, no ads, no forum. I know that people say 'I use a forum that doesn't have ads, and it's great', but when you look into it there's always a reason. Either the other forum has (relatively) few users, or it is being funded by another source - often they are subsidised by commercial activities related to the companies behind them. I know that, because I have advised on the development of several forums,and I've seen the business models.

It's an involved subject, and we have often discussed it here. We are very much aware of the need to try to strike the right balance between ad loading and site performance, and of course different people seem to have differing experiences. It's an ongoing matter as far as we're concerned, and I wouldn't want you to think that we're oblivious to your feedback - we really do discuss these things on a regular basis.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

FE thanks for your reply, but there is the risk where it slows too much and regular readers start visiting less often and drop off

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes