We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can you remember the first car you were in.

KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I was watching a TV program the other day and I spotted the first type of car I can remember being driven in. It was the Rover 90. I cannot remember how old I was but I can remember being allowed to occasionally change gear using the long gear stick.

I am thinking this would have been in the late 1950's or early 1960's I also learnt to drive in 1975 in a Triumph Herald. I can remember doing my driving test in this car and being asked to do a three point turn, (do they still do that?, but the Triumph had a turning circle similar to a taxi cab and the examiner was not impressed when I did a U-turn in quite a narrow road. He passed me by the way though I had to do the turn correctly.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

The car I was ever in would be my dad's 1964 Austin Cambridge.

Other than this the first car I can remember travelling in was a 1974 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow. I remember this because I was looking at it with my mum in a super market car park and the owner came up and saw me drooling, so he drove me round the car park in it. It was totally brand new, and he'd only collected it the day before...

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Talking of number plates, I can remember my first car's number plate (PBA 750W), but none since. I even have trouble with my current car's plate...

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I past my driving test in a Triumph herald in 1961 so they must have been around a while.

You did not need to do a three point turning on one of those as they could turn on a sixpence was the old saying.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

fourm member

Don't remember that shape, this is the one I recall. Ford Anglia.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

First car I had a ride in was a Vauxhall probably a Wyvern but could have been a Velox.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

I know this wasn't my first car ride but it was the most memorable, an open top e-type owned by my brother in law when I was 12. I was taken on a drive over the Yorkshire moors thinking we aren't going very fast but it seems like we are, only to find out that I had been looking at the Rev Counter instead of the speedo.

Rev Counter had been on 5500 revs and I'm thinking we are doing 55MPH.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The very first car I sat in (and drove) was a nice little metallic red racing car with two pedals and a rubber honky horn ... I was about 4 years old.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

I also learnt to drive in a Triumph Herald, but cannot remember the make of the first car I was in. Family friends had a couple of seaside wooden bungalows near Cleethorpes and straight after the war would take me with them on school holidays. Very exciting if it didn't rain,but very uncomfortrable if it did, as their son and I had to sit in the 'dikey {dickie) seat.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

The very first car I sat in (and drove) was a nice little metallic red racing car with two pedals and a rubber honky horn ... I was about 4 years old.

Not so long ago then? LOL.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Chronus

I think Aitchbee still uses it to get about the flat with his red noddy hat on.

Wonder if the horn still works.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...