We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can you remember the first car you were in.

KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I was watching a TV program the other day and I spotted the first type of car I can remember being driven in. It was the Rover 90. I cannot remember how old I was but I can remember being allowed to occasionally change gear using the long gear stick.

I am thinking this would have been in the late 1950's or early 1960's I also learnt to drive in 1975 in a Triumph Herald. I can remember doing my driving test in this car and being asked to do a three point turn, (do they still do that?, but the Triumph had a turning circle similar to a taxi cab and the examiner was not impressed when I did a U-turn in quite a narrow road. He passed me by the way though I had to do the turn correctly.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just found out the first car I had and it was an Austin Hampshire[A70] Reg UML 315 My brother in law just reminded me today as we used to share it and he kept the details all this time.

Gear change was on the drive column just under the steering wheel.

Like this post
ordep

Likes # 0

My first car was a Morris 8. As a teenager, i got a job in a garage, near Heathrow as a carjockey.

A customer would arrive at the garage, I would take him, in his car over to the airport, and then drive the car back and park it in a field, (supposed to to be undercover parking!)

It was a fantastic job for a young tearaway as you can imagine. I drove all manner of cars, many mentioned in the above posts, including E types, RR, bubble cars, etc etc.

Its a Honda Civic now.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

The first car I remember being in was an A35 van, we used to sleep in the back on the way home from visiting relatives in Bognor and spending the day on the beach at Felpham.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

I was born in 1951. My father had a 1936 Austin 10 Lichfield which was bought new by his father. He sold the car for £25 in 1968 and bought a Triumph Herald. The Austin was the first car I was ever in and remember it being "laid up" on blocks for the winter, sponged and chamoised in the garage every time it was returned on a wet night and having to be regularly "decoked" to keep it running well. I also remember my father installing a heater of sorts, drawing warm air from behind the radiator via a duct to a nozzle in the front passenger foot well.Other than that, it was a rug which was bought new with the car in 1936 and is still used to this day!

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

My first car journey was a Morris 8, FWW 178, which belonged to the shop next door to us which was a post office. I would be about 7 (1952ish) and he used to take me with him when delivering telegrams. We also went to the races (Beverley and Thirsk), him, his wife, my mum and dad,my sister and me (I??) plus picnic. How on earth we all managed to fit in is beyond me. The first car I owned was a Ford 100E side valve van and the car I always regret not keeping was an MGA Mk1 (swapped it for Zephyr Zodiac).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more