We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can you remember the first car you were in.

KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I was watching a TV program the other day and I spotted the first type of car I can remember being driven in. It was the Rover 90. I cannot remember how old I was but I can remember being allowed to occasionally change gear using the long gear stick.

I am thinking this would have been in the late 1950's or early 1960's I also learnt to drive in 1975 in a Triumph Herald. I can remember doing my driving test in this car and being asked to do a three point turn, (do they still do that?, but the Triumph had a turning circle similar to a taxi cab and the examiner was not impressed when I did a U-turn in quite a narrow road. He passed me by the way though I had to do the turn correctly.

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

The headmaster's Austin 7 in 1947. He took me and two girls to Manchester Art Gallery as we were shortly to sit the Eleven Plus and he thought that a dose of culture would be good for us.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

So the Austin 7 was a car of culture then.. Was it good for you?

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

I cannot remember the first car but I do remember a Rolls Royce Taxi in Edinburgh circa 1953.

First car was a 1935 Standard Nine (consumption of a Ten, Performance of an Eight).

Second car was an ExWD Austin Eight Tourer as often pictured with ATS girls in London on VE Day. Father-in-Law could not bear to see his beloved first grandchild in such a vehicle so he used his Masonic influence to obtain a new Morris Minor. This was in 1955 and it cost £508 as I remember. Took us a long time to repay the loan. Sold it in 1959 for well over £400.

Even the FE's Father was impressed by it!

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

My dad had a green like colour Austin A40 with a black roof that we used to go to Edinburgh in. The back seat folded down and me and my two brothers used to lie in the back all the way there. After that he had one Ford Cortina Mk1 then moved onto Vauxhalls for the rest of his life until he passed away late last month.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...much later...an OPEL Manta 2-door 2-litre Berlinetta (silver)...my first grown-up car.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Going with my dad to collect first car from Morris Garages in Oxford in 1948 (I was 4). Still remember the number NFC 162.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Another Car that I used to Run during the 50's was a 1937 Ford V8 98a Ranch Wagon that Path Pictures used to use on set with Cameras mounted on back corner or stood on the Roof. This was a 32hp V8 about 15 to the Gallon not much use on today's Fuel Prices at £6.50 a Gallon

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

The first car I remember going in was around 1948/49 when I was 9 or 10; it was a pre-war Jaguar SS belonging to my dad's boss and he loaned it to us for a week to go to Canterbury for a holiday. Dad drove me and my mother from Harwich and we went via the Dartford crossing ferry. On the way back we were severely overloaded with Dad (15 stone), Mum 13 (13 stone), me (around 5 stone?), Auntie (another 13 stone woman) Uncle (12 stone), daughter (around 5 stone), dog and half a dozen suitcases on the top. Each time we went over a bump in the road the car body bottomed on the springs and the prop-shaft universal joint scraped the car's floor. Dad's running repair was to buy a length of asbestos rope which he wound around the UJ - I don't think he ever told his boss...

Just for the record the first car I ever owned was a 1949 Ford Prefect OVX352 which cost me £75 in 1960. That car taught me more about fixing side valve engines, re-building gearboxes and running repairs than any car since. The car I wished I had kept was a 1950s Triumph Mayflower.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

1950s Triumph Mayflower. Bought one from an Auction to resell,

PS it had an Overdrive on it

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

One thing stands out from all these posts. We would be lost without our cars.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home