We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can you remember the first car you were in.

KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I was watching a TV program the other day and I spotted the first type of car I can remember being driven in. It was the Rover 90. I cannot remember how old I was but I can remember being allowed to occasionally change gear using the long gear stick.

I am thinking this would have been in the late 1950's or early 1960's I also learnt to drive in 1975 in a Triumph Herald. I can remember doing my driving test in this car and being asked to do a three point turn, (do they still do that?, but the Triumph had a turning circle similar to a taxi cab and the examiner was not impressed when I did a U-turn in quite a narrow road. He passed me by the way though I had to do the turn correctly.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It's been on my mind since this was posted. All I can remember was that at 6 I had my first ride in my parents car. That makes it 1960'ish. I remember it being black, with red seats and a light brown soft top. I remember the front grille looked as if it was growling (to me then). Rounded top edges and straight bottom with what looked like teeth shapes inside the frame. I have no idea what make or model it was but still see it in my mind's eye. Funny how these thing stick in you mind sometimes.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

1987 ford capri sports

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

first car remember going in was an austin cambridge

parents first car a austin 1100

my first car chrysler avenger

oldest car been in was a 1928 opentop riley was given a tour of st mary's island in scilly isles recently in it.

Like this post
Macscouse

Likes # 0

A Ford Zephir, driven by the son of the local Chipshop owner. Driving test was in a laden Commer 3Ton tipper, a 4 gear crash box beast. I was told if I took it up and down Hospital Hill in Aden without crashing the gears, I would pass. No HGV licences then.

Like this post
LanceAlot

Likes # 0

Me and my new bride had an Austin A30 which we called Bessie. That was in 1971.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I passed my test in Singapore, way back... The examiner was an officer in the British Army who was there specifically for that job. He was also of course fully qualified and did the same job when he was in the UK in his spare time.

Driving in Singapore at that time was pretty scary even to a qualified driver, so I was pleased to pass. Not many of his clients did at that time.

I had previously passed the driving test for a motor cycle in Singapore too. That time it was a huge Singapore Policeman who conducted the tests. I was surprised at the amount of locals who failed the test before they got away from the starting point. Because this big policeman would sit astride the bike and push it forward manually, at the same time applying the brakes. If it didn't feel good enough for him he failed them there and then. They would then have to get in the queue for another test and the waiting time was about three months. They would also have to do the part one of the test indoors too again. Yes it was in two parts back in the fifties and sixties.

I believe a worse place to take a test was probably Hong-Kong. I wonder what it is like now?

Like this post
cycoze

Likes # 0

Original Fiat 600, doubt I would fit in one now!

Like this post
userious?

Likes # 0

An A30, had a re-conditioned engine and gearbox and cost £30....good days.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

What my dad used to call a sit up and beg Ford Popular

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

The district nurse's Austin Ruby in 1945.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...