We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can you remember the first car you were in.

KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I was watching a TV program the other day and I spotted the first type of car I can remember being driven in. It was the Rover 90. I cannot remember how old I was but I can remember being allowed to occasionally change gear using the long gear stick.

I am thinking this would have been in the late 1950's or early 1960's I also learnt to drive in 1975 in a Triumph Herald. I can remember doing my driving test in this car and being asked to do a three point turn, (do they still do that?, but the Triumph had a turning circle similar to a taxi cab and the examiner was not impressed when I did a U-turn in quite a narrow road. He passed me by the way though I had to do the turn correctly.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I cannot remember the first car, because in my infancy my late father changed his vehicle range and type as time progressed. 'T' Ford, Jowett Javelin, Frazer Nash and a whole range of others come to mind. Perhaps my 'own' first car I 'drove' was a tin pedal car from the Mobo or similar range of kid's 'toys'?.

The very first own purchase was a 1939 Vauxhall for £39.00 from an uncle, that was built like a tank, with the ever faithful starting handle and suspect windscreen wipers!.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

When I was a lad I think there were only 3 cars in our avenue which was about 300 yard long, all belonging to salesman. My next door neighbour had an Austin Atlantic with what I remember to be 3 headlights. I think this is the first car I was ever driven in, but my friends dad had an old Austin 7 which he garaged in Fife over the winter and I think that was the oldest one. The picture of that Anglia was the 1200cc version of the 105E rather than the normal 950CC version. My first car was the 1200 estate version of the same model.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

**I think Aitchbee still uses it to get about the flat with his red noddy hat on. Wonder if the horn still works.**

Now that did make me laugh.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

The first car I ever had a ride in belonged to the woman who was taking me and my brother to our billet. This was when we were evacuated at the beginning of the war. It was the first day of he war (WW2 for Brumas who would suggest an earlier one if I let him).

The poor woman could hardly see where she was going because it was night time and the ban on headlights had just come in and was being adhered to by everyone. Later they were fitted with a mask which had a narrow slit giving a very limited amount of light. Obstacles such as trees and posts, at the roadsides were painted with white stripes to help a bit.

This thread brought all the memories of those days back. But why can't I remember where I went yesterday?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Chronus none of my family had a car, same with my friends. The nearest we got was a day out on dad's K31 Royal Enfield 1000cc V twin with mum on the pillion and two or three kids in the side-car.

Oh, but dad was a tram and trolly-bus driver and when he transferred to a real bus I sometimes got a lift to school on that.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

First car I had was a Austin 7 1932 model. Got married in a Standard Flying 9 about 1937 model, in the year 1955

My first set of Petrol Power Wheels was, a Cycle with a 25cc Cyclemaster Rear Wheel fitted. did about 250 miles to a Gallon. Rear wheel could be bought for round about £29 and fit to your own Cycle, petrol at that time was about two shillings and six pence per gallon

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

woodchip

With the Cyclemaster did you get strong leg muscles, because I recall the two I had required a lot of leg power. Life became easier with the 'Winged-Wheel'.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I only dimly remember my first ride in my father's 1936 series 60 Buick, in about early 1940. It was requisitioned by the War Office and he went off to Bomber Command and was KIA in 1943. I also remember an old Austin 7 in about 1949 owned by an uncle. It had < I think , slightly tinted rear window. In Malta in 1956 a few of us shared a 1929 Riley 9. It had to be push started or parked on a hill and you could see quite a lot of road through a hole in the floor in the rear section...

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Yes, a toyota but can't remeber the model. The first vehicle I owned was an ex yellow post office ( I think) van. Remember those? I drove it until the brakes suddenly failed at the traffic lights at King's X. Shot across, luckily nobody hit me. I had just graduated and it was a present to myself.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like Aitchbee my first ride in a car was a little red single-seater pedal car, but I don't think mine was posh enough to have had a metallic paint job, I was also about 4yrs old at the time.

Passed my test in Br. Guiana in a little old Austin 7, borrowed from a friend in 1953. Being a British Colony they had the same Rules-of-the-Road as in UK, so my licence was valid when I returned to UK.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more