We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can you remember the first car you were in.

KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I was watching a TV program the other day and I spotted the first type of car I can remember being driven in. It was the Rover 90. I cannot remember how old I was but I can remember being allowed to occasionally change gear using the long gear stick.

I am thinking this would have been in the late 1950's or early 1960's I also learnt to drive in 1975 in a Triumph Herald. I can remember doing my driving test in this car and being asked to do a three point turn, (do they still do that?, but the Triumph had a turning circle similar to a taxi cab and the examiner was not impressed when I did a U-turn in quite a narrow road. He passed me by the way though I had to do the turn correctly.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Started with two wheels - NSU Quickly, ex PO Bantam then a hand change Velocette going up to an Enfield K31 but the first car was a Standard 8.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Not the first I was in, but I remember at about 5 years old when my dad got a brand new Vauhall 101, that was the one with the inverted T rear light lens and it was in one of those popular '60s pastel colours, pale blue.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

The first ride in a car was with my pal in his father's Lea-Francis 14hp Four-Light Saloon click here in 1956. It was massive and I felt like a V.I.P. and started waving to all and sundry!

I remember my pal's father, he was the local bank manager, was not amused by all this as it attracted too much attention and he was quite a private sort of person. I also remember him telling me that the car was solidly built and didn't have a chassis, it had two railway lines instead as it was so heavy and robust - I believed him for years!!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

wiz-king

Not what you owned but what you were actually in probably as a passenger as a child.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Would that not have been your first car that you remembered being in then?

Like this post
NewestRoyWidd1

Likes # 0

The first cars I can recall being driven in were a Bedford Dormobile which had a variable seating layout,and an Austin Princess Van den Plas,also a Triumph Renown with running boards.

These were owned by two uncles in the 50's and 60's,and my first two wheel experience was on the back of a Vincent Black Shadow.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

First car I was driven in was a 1956-57 split screen Morris Minor owned by my uncle, but it only got driven in the dry.

Every year in November it was put in the garage and stripped down and he cleaned that bloody thing and resprayed it and it didn't come out till after the snow had gone.

So if I was at his house even in the summer when it rained I had to catch the bus home which took about 1 hour as I had to catch a bus then a tram or walk which took about the same time.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Austin Princess Van den Plas, now that bring back memories.

Like this post
NewestRoyWidd1

Likes # 0

Chronus;I seem to remember that it was fairly luxurious?The uncle that owned it had a chain of petrol stations in my home town,therefore he could afford luxury.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

First car was my grandfathers old sit up and beg Ford popular. Must have been circa 1959, I still remember the number plate, 399KMF

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED