We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Electric valve for my conservatory radiator

Graham*

Likes # 0

It's small bore, so I think it will need a 'normal' section inserted to facilitate the fitting of a valve.

The existing thermostatic valve is a pain, and it frequently needs replacing.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

namtas

I think you need to take a step back and think about what you're saying before being amazed by what I believe, and knee-jerking into 'will the real FE stand up'.

The real FE has worked for years with companies in the construction and heating industries, and during that time he has absorbed a fair amount of information. He also has more or less instant access to people who manufacture all kinds of construction-related products - heating products included. Google isn't required in most cases.

I didn't say that a TVR doesn't sense a change in the room temperature, I said that it doesn't know what that temperature is. A TVR is a simple valve made slightly less simple by the addition of an automatic open/close technology. It will close as ambient temperature rises, and open as it falls. It has no idea what the actual temperature is at any given moment, and that is exactly what I said.

Now that I have that clear, I think it might be an idea to call a halt to convoluted discussions about the finer points of the TVR - I'm sure that most people would prefer to watch paint drying. I'll therefore quit the field.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

they don't know what the room temperature is

Whichever way you want to twist words, It knows enough to decide if the area that it is monitoring is too hot or too cold,

That signifies that it has to know what the room tempo is.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

The temperature of a radiator on a central heating system is determined by the temperature of the water circulating in the system. A valve uses a thermostat and when the room has reached the desired temperature it closes the valve so shutting off the hot water supply. How quickly the radiator cools down and how quickly the room loses heat depends on the house/room insulation. In a conservatory there could well be a great deal of heat loss and to compensate the valve will open up the supply to the radiator to provide heat and the radiator could be providing heat almost constantly. The valves do not adjust the heat of the radiator. A single radiator may be cooler than others in a system but this is probably because of a defect eg air or sludge in the system. Your new valve probably has more precise temperature control and may open or or close the valve quicker but it will not increase the surface heat of the radiator. If the new valve is set to a higher temp than the previous TRV then you may find that your radiator will be on even more than before"

At last, someone has seen the light.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

It was me, I had sludge in my eyes.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Has anybody tried these radiator gadgets?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidluk/hs.xsl/index34948.htm

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Radiator Bleeders ... let's try again with this link:-

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/SID-659955E2-ACF75903/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=34937

...are they any good?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Aitchbee - Your links don't work and I doubt that it has much to do with this thread. If you are talking about bleeding radiators, then it is only necessary if there is air in the system and a radiator fails to warm.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...