We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Electric valve for my conservatory radiator

Graham*

Likes # 0

It's small bore, so I think it will need a 'normal' section inserted to facilitate the fitting of a valve.

The existing thermostatic valve is a pain, and it frequently needs replacing.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Sounds like an expensive option.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Yup - it is

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I don't understand why you need to keep replacing the existing thermostatic valve?

All it does is open/close the valve to include/exclude that radiator with the rest of system.

IMHO Mostly thermostatic valves are a waste of time unless you have a room getting too hot and want to shut that rad off but keep rest of rads hot.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

lotvic, It is turned on and off every day. They wear out and start to leak after a while. As the rad is an add-on,fed from upstairs, there is no drain fitted so it's impossible to isolate.

wiz-king, I was thinking of an extra valve in the pipework, but a remote control valve may work out cheaper if I can swap it myself - save on a plumber.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'They wear out and start to leak after a while'

Really? Mine have been in situ and working for 15 yrs. Can get stuck after the summer, but a clout with a hammer cures that.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

If you keep turning it off and on then why have a TRV?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The small bore aspect of this isn't a problem. You can get a set of brass reducing bushes that will enable you to fit the new valve direct to your existing pipe. Just make sure that you ask for the correct size in the plumbing shop. You will almost certainly need an 8mm to 15mm set.

You shouldn't really be turning a radiator on and off every day - just get a TRV and let that do the job of regulating the flow rate.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Turning a TRV on and off manually each day defeats the object of having a TRV, might as well have an ordinary one if you want to treat it like a tap (water flow ON, water flow OFF)

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

It came with the TRV. As I have Boiler maintainance cover that includes pipes and valves, it is they who do the repairs. I have asked them to just fit a normal tap valve, but they say they can only replace the existing TRV, even though a tap would be cheaper.

FE, it already has a reducer. I turn it off each night as the conservatory is closed off each evening, and it gets very cold in the night.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You want something like this programmable TRV. I haven't used one though. A google search found it.

You have come across one of the drawbacks of having a radiator in a conservatory.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do