We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I'm leaving it with you - Goodbye

Snec

Likes # 1

From being amongst the first to join PCA forums, many years ago under a different name, I thought I'd just have one last rant before leaving.

But it's not really PCA I'm leaving, it's the UK. I retired at 55 and 12 years later I'm still paying tax. I have paid a lot of tax in my time and have never tried to avoid it, in fact I was pleased to do so, but a year or so ago decided that there is nothing to be gained by continuing, indeed there's everything to lose.

Both Labour and ConDem politicians have been found guilty of using our tax money to feather their own nests. These are people we should, at the very least, have been able to trust not to steal our money. That's probably the worse thing but it is not much better that they just simply fritter away much of the remaining on things like Green issues, Banks, Bankers Bonuses, Benefits for anyone from anywhere, BMWs for anyone who knows how to work the system, Quangos and Think Tanks. The Justice system is a joke. (Stop, I could fill the page)

At each and every election we are promised so much and receive so little. The problem is that the people who could make a difference do not even stand for Parliament. Those that do lack any useful experience.

After graduating from Cambridge, Nick Clegg worked for the European Commission and a political lobbying outfit before then becoming an adviser and speech-writer. He also tried his hand at being a skiing instructor. After graduating from Oxford, George Osborne went to work for the Conservative Party and then morphed into a ministerial special adviser. He has also worked part-time entering the names of dead people on to an NHS computer. As for David Cameron, he went straight from Oxford into Conservative Central Office before serving as a Treasury special adviser. He then left Westminster for a while to work in PR for Carlton TV before going back in as an MP.

These fellows are supposed to be the leading lights. None of them have had more than a passing acquaintance with the world outside of politics, PR and media. They know nothing of managing or being managed and have never sweated over a business needing to break even. Why would we expect them to be capable of running a country?

The political system is flawed. I will support it no longer.

I may have to return once more to the UK to finalise some oddments but really I hope not to. Tomorrow I shall be packing up my den, one of the last things to be done, and Friday I’m gone.

Folks, thank you for the memories, thanks for the passing and I wish you all the very best for the future. Be nice to each other -- Bye now.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

where are you off too, this paradise of a place.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I'm really sorry to see you go, both from the forum and from the country. It really isn't as bad as you seem to think, in my opinion, but that's not the point. You're going, and I wish you well.

Thank you for your support over the years, we've seen some interesting times together.

On a selfish note - don't they have Internet access in your new home? We get lots of posts from people all over the world.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Cannot be found it today's world, It's a fantasy at the moment. But that does not mean that we will have it, till the cows come home. All the best in your Search, hope you find what you are looking for, but you do not need to leave England to find it

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The Scottish Nation will be given the opportunity to decide it's future destiny in 2014, also.

I am hoping for a total breakaway from England...in my lifetime.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

It is bad as you do seem to think and i 2nd that, we have been deceived too many times, high prices and high tax and little money to go around.

No they are saying they cant pay for welfare, students hit high tuition fees, motorist hit by high pump prices.

Hospitals closing its A and E departments, Police cutting back on its personnel.

Major traffic jams, not enough buses, not enough equals to had enough.

I voted Tory but they have been a major let down. The so called coalition has jeopardised many things. The country has been soled and sold down the drain hole.

Look around FE look carefully rather listen to what people tell you. Too many gangs killing each other and innocent bystanders.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Snec. I thought the internet was/is available from wherever you end up. Have you got a plan or are you just wandering the world like a lost soul? Keep in touch and if you should change your mind I am sure you will be welcome back whether it is to this forum or to England. What about your family, have you talked it over with them etc.?

You will find the place you move to may not be all it's cracked up to be. There are a lot worse places in the world (Aitchbee's Scotland will probably become one).

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Snec

I can relate to a lot of what you say, but I'm English born and bred and for better or worse this country is and always will be home for me. I could never feel at home in a foreign country, just two weeks away on holiday and I'm yearning for dear old blighty.

I shall be heading back to my roots in good old Devon just as soon as family commitments allow. I can't say I will be sorry to see the back of London, after living and working here for most of my life it has changed beyond all recognition.

So as those of us that can head for the sticks, and others like you head for pastures new, I wish you well, good luck and bonne chance!

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

Agree with much of what you say,if i could afford to retire i would do so and live in France near my nephews and nieces.

I do think though that the economic downturn has made things appear worse than they are,immigration issues,crime,prices are always a problem,exacerbated by an uncertain future and an irresolute Government.

As for London,well more of Boris's vanity projects in the offing,council estates being sold to private development (mine) and some one on radio said it is becoming more like Monaco,only the rich are allowed to live here,they are the only ones who can afford to apart from the benefit fraudsters that is.

Crikey,think i should scrub the second paragraph and join you.

Wherever you go the issues remain the same ,just the context may change.

However good luck to you.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Down the centuries people have complained about more or less the same things. The saying that 'it isn't like it was in the old days' is always true because of course change is constant. We have complained about taxation and our politicians since there have been taxes and politics, and I imagine we will do so long into the future.

I've traveled to lots of other countries in my time, and although there have been aspects of life that appeal to me in some of them there isn't a country on earth that has the unique mix that goes to make Britain what it is.

Of course we have our problems, and of course our society could improve, but that has always been and will always be the case. I know quite a few people who have gone to live abroad, and without exception they all tell me that the grass isn't quite as gree on the other side of the fence as they first believed. Most of them jump at any chance to visit the old country, and when they're here I can see that they feel a sense of longing. Unfortunately for most of them the cost of moving back would simply be too high.

The perfect situation for some people is to live in two countries - part of the year here, and part of the year there. It wouldn't suit me, but for some it seems to work. These people tend to extol the virtues of their 'other' country when they're here, but when I visit them there they seem to be constantly apologising because this or that aspect of where they live isn't what I'm used to back home.

I'll be staying where I am - I've seen the alternatives, and they aren't for me.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

It is not surprising that many ex-pats are becoming re-pats. The grass is always greener ..... etc.

Some friends of mine went to Spain several years back, but fortunately kept their home in this country. They are now back, and very glad to be back as well.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014