We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A fiver for a bank statement.

KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I need a recent bank statement and as I shred mine shortly after checking I thought simple process to get a replacement. Then the fun begins.

I log into my online account and yes there is the facility to order a bank statement all you have to do is but in the necessary dates. I just need one which covers the last two months so I filled in the required dates and pressed next, to be greeted with this error.

"1600014 : Sorry, but we can't send you statement sheets for the dates you requested because your name wasn't on the account account during that time."

Now I am making my request after going through various security checks but I thought OK just a glitch I'll phone instead. It seems it is very difficult to phone your actual branch and get a 0845 number to call. After going through the interminable press this number on your keypad say this ETC ETC. I eventually talked to someone who apologised and said yes they were having problems with the online service but that she could indeed send me a statement for the princely sum of £5.00.

I asked her if she was having a laugh but seeming no,that is what it costs. So I declined her offer and will make do with a mini statement from an ATM.

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

Indeed you're right Bing.alau but you only have to hold on to statements etc for 6 years.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Bing-alau I was friendly with the Landlord of a Cotswold Country Pub. He was an ex RAF Armourer. The Tax people came after him because they said that he was not declaring the full extent of his profits. His problem was that he ran a small pub in the country and they wanted him to declare the profit level achieved in large cities. It was sorted out to his satisfaction - eventually - but he had a miserable time sorting it all out.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Let's hear it for the tax man, though.

Three unprompted refunds in the last twelve months (and I didn't even have to send off my bank account details)!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

flycatcher1. Sounds like he had the same problem as me. But I was in a big city pub. Luckily I had a good accountant who urged me to go to court over it. It never got that far. Sometimes I wish it had.

Morddwyd. Yes I too had a tax refund for last year, the princely sum of £10.30p I wondered why they don't just add it to this years calculations to save the bother etc. I get the feeling that some people probably get much smaller amounts refunded.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded