We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Geneology data research sites

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

For some time I have toyed with doing research on my family but have done little about it. The Daily Mail is currently doing a promotion of a site which has a substantial level of data; this has stimulated me to have a better look at the research.

I know several here are also involved in researching their histories and wondered if there are better sources than Findmypast and Ancestry which appear to be two of the larger sites.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

With thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

www.familysearch.org (Church of the Latterday Saints)

www.freebmd.org.uk (Database of birth, marriages and deaths)

www.curiousfox.com (message boards for folk seeking info)

www.ancestryaid.co.uk (forums)This site is not connected with Ancestry.co.uk

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

I use Ancestry and it's great - seems to have most data, and you can have a trial month to get you started/hooked.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

My late cousin's husband uses Ancestry but he follows up with Parish records. As he's retired he has more time and finds out a bit more about the families' history, skeletons in the cupboard et-al.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

I have been working on family history for more than 10 years. IMO Ancestry is the best but if you want military history then findmypast is better but both come at a cost. If you have the time and can get to London much of what is available on websites is available at Kew and through the GRO. Before 1840 then you have to work from parish records. Many of these are slowly coming on-line but the best source is the local Public Records Office which is free to use.

I have found that the Church of the Latterday Saints had little of use but that may be specific to my family.

Be prepared to search using alternative spellings of first names and surnames. You will almost certainly come across gaps. I have a mystery which after nearly 20 years of research I cannot solve.

Be warned once you start then you will be hooked.

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

Also worth checking out are the family history societies of each county, which often have their own online records taken from parishes. Joining doesn't cost much and this can help solve some mysteries from the comfort of your home.

If I had more time away from PCA I'd be in parish record offices a lot more, but have gone back a long way just by online genealogical resources.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Many thanks to you all for responding.

We live nowhere near our roots which are at both sides of the country and as a result will need to rely on electronic records or an expensive London stay. I have looked at the prices for both Ancestry and Findmypast and although expensive appear to offer a good service which would be cheaper than London or travelling hundreds of miles. The free taster from the Mail and anything offered by the sites will also help.

I have taken your comments/advice on board and will look at all sites you mention to see what is on offer.

Many thanks once again.

Like this post
The Old Mod

Likes # 0

Like Woollwell I've been researching my family for many years with trips to local record offices etc, but find ancestry one of the best and so much easier to use, it has many types of records with more being added all the time, I also use other free sites. Starting off can seem daunting but after a while you will learn different tricks to get around blank walls etc, also like Woolwell I have an ancestor that I've traced up to 1901 but no sign of her after that. The best thing is not give up if you get stuck on a certain person and keep going back to them every now and then, sometime more can come to light that may have been added since you last looked. Good luck with your research.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I've often thought of having a go at this and think it would probably turn in to a good hobby. But it also looks to be expensive.

I have a niece in the UK who has been doing it for a long while. She tells me she has gone about as far as she can go, she has told me some fascinating things about her side of our family. she promised to send me a copy of the family tree, but that was about three years ago and although I have hinted at it to her since, nothing has been forthcoming. (It might have got me hooked).

I also have another niece in Australia who has had a few years doing it from her side of the family, if a family has sides. She has had me going to the records offices in Liverpool and other parts of Merseyside looking for answers to her questions. (Guess who ended up paying for that information?) She also said she would send me a copy of the family tree. I then thought, once I get these copies of family trees I may be able to get started and it may be worth while.

But now I guess by the time I get started on my branch of the family, I will be ready to be hung out on a limb to dry.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

One of the most important sources is relatives and especially parents. Their birth, marriage and even death certificates can prove to be valuable sources of information plus, of course, their memories. I started late and had no one older than me to turn to.

If you have a relative who served in the forces then their service records are available (many on-line) and this gives a really fascinating picture including a description of them when they enlisted. Be prepared for court martial shocks and unanswered questions. My next stop has to be a service museum to see what they have.

One of the problems that you may come across is that the first name is regularly used in a family and you have to be certain that you have the right person. Don't work on assumptions. In my family the same name has been used after the first child died.

You will soon realise that you need software to record the records. I have tried most of them and my favourite is Family Historian but this may be because I am now fairly experienced at family history.

Enjoy it.

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Remember too that many of your ancestors may not have been able to read or write. Their responses to censuses, baptisms, etc were oral and were written down as heard with some "interesting" variations in spelling. Also some were uncertain of their age or deliberately lied about it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

Will I be affected by VAT MOSS? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers