We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

£1 shop on TV last night

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

Anybody watch it on channel 4 last night.

Some Boxes and containers and packaging held less than normal supermarkets and some supermarket products you actually got twice as much for the same price.

It did give you the contents and weights on the containers and packaging but it was up to the customer to check it out for themselves.

It was just a sort of documentary showing you how they actually made their money and are now hoping to open another 400 shops.

Some of the bargain items were not actually bargains just the advertising on them made you think that they were bargains.

I wondered how they did so well know I know.

They have lots of things that are far cheaper than elsewhere and that's the true bargains.

I think they are run by some big American company but never quite got the name.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not sure why the heading changed but I have noticed that on other posts and wondered why they got it so wrong.

Another PCA problem I suppose.

Anyhow it should have said, £1 shop on TV last night.

Ok it looks like the heading does not pick up the £ sign and changes it to pound.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just checked mind you not sure of the difference it was not the £1 shop it was Poundland.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/episode-guide/series-119/episode-1

He got some bad reviews about his comments.

Like this post  
Blackhat

Likes # 0

I did not see the program but one thing to note is that in the Poundland on my high street you know that every item cost a pound but over the road I often find similar items at 30-50p in Wilkinsons. Only small things like packs of pens and stationary but it all adds up. Sometimes a pound is over priced!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

As with anything, buyer beware.

There are bargains to be had at Poundland, like Frey Bentos pies, which generally cost £1.50-£2 in Asda, but other things are not such good value.

As I've got good use of my legs, and live near to a town that has Poundland, Home Bargains, B&M Bargains and a shop that sells short dated and out of date stuff all in close proximity I've become adept at getting the best prices on stuff. Sometimes I get caught out & spend too much on an item, but the overall savings outweigh the losses.

I'm sure Aitchbe is well versed in this practise as well :-)

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Blackhat

I have time to shop around I suppose those in a hurry don't mind paying a little bit more.

Like yourself I try both of those shops to see which is the most reasonable.

Obviously if it is something decent you want you have to look elsewhere.

Bought a two pronged plug from asda's I think it was just over £3 the Poundshop sold the exact same plug and make for £1.

So working it that way you are most likely to pay more in supermarkets.My maths are not really that good but I figured it out that Asda's were making about a 200% profit on the one plug, so what are they making with the rest of their produce.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

alan14

Asda sell the fray bentos pies for a £1 every now and then so you will need to remember to stock up the next time.

Remember to get a decent tin opener at the same time.

We have most of those shops here as well.The company shop which sells foods from the Supermarkets that are not quite out of date but almost.

We used to do all our shopping at Asda's but as the prices went up we started going elswhere.

Need any cheap tools something that we are only going to use once probably it's the pound shop.

We have a Pound shop in our town and what did they open next door to it Poundland.Must be enough profit in it for the two of them to survive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia