We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

yet another scam through the letterbox

theDarkness
Resolved

Likes # 0

I received a card today (Hong Kong postage paid) stating its from Sullivan Pierce Levin, stating i'd won £119,613.00. It shows a pin number at the bottom of the card, above an official charles sanders signature, of which I must use to phone and claim my prize. They cant phone me for whatever reason (they are lying, or if they're after bank details, cant get hold of me on the phone, since I never answer any calls with a hidden or questionable number). Yes, its an obvious scam, mirroring the type you receive via email, essentially replacing 'click here to give us your deails' with a 'phone xxxx'. It seems to have been aimed at the US originally when I enter 'sullivan pierce levin hong kong' into google and read up on gullible people trying to claim their prize. It would seem common sense that if you dont remember entering any similar competition, dont phone, but then there are plenty of desperate people out there that will phone, sadly.

The increase in scam phone calls over the last couple of years is one thing, but within the next ten I am beginning to think that my physical letterbox may start to act like my email inbox, with plenty of scam related spam flowing through it! Spam from genuine supermarkets is more than enough for me at the moment! The only other thing I wonder is how the above could have found my address when its not in the phone book. I suppose I'll never know, and its likely to be far easier than I imagine. Scams of this sort have surely been around since the 80s, the only changes being the easy access of data for the scammers (phone numbers/addresses) as a result of computing and the net for sharing their data. Unfortunately when it gets right down to finding a solution and its starts to mount up over the next few years, its alot easier to change an email than it is to change an address, lol

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

The Electoral Roll is where most snail mail spam comes from... I won the Spanish Lottery about 1995/6 (I know it was before 1997 when I moved house) it was a lovely letter, had seals and embellishments, real posh:)

Perhaps I should have taken up the invitation to write them with my bank details so they could pay me my prize ;)

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...