We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

TV shows or movies that scared you as a child

simonjary

Likes # 0

Which TV programmes or films frightened you as a child?

I was discussing this with another father at the school gates yesterday, and I remembered staying up to watch the Ealing film 'Dead of Night' (made in 1945) when I was about 9 or 10.

I thought it was going to be an Ealing comedy.

Take a look at Dead of Night, it's even more terrifying now!

Other TV shows and movies that scared friends include:

Children of the Stones (ITV)

Dr Who and The Sea Devils

Salem's Lot

The Changeling

Any others to give us all nightmares?

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Quatermass and the Pit scared the bejasus out of me especially when he was walking in a churchyard and the gravel started moving - even now thinking of it makes me blench!!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Nothing scared me then, I'm more squeamish now!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The original B & W TV serial 'The Invisible Man' [with Pete Brady] from about 1960, was a bit scary and more than a decade later the 'spider walk' scene from the Excorcist gives me the creeps...I've only watched it once, and I wish I hadn't. [I've got it on Video but I am too scared to watch it again].

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The best and scariest, for me, was Dr Who when the Darleks were first introduced in monochrome. Will Hartnell the doctor, and I was totally fascinated that the Darlek could be overpowered simply by making it glide over a blanket and thus had no power and 'died'. Modern-ish films forgot this weakness but a master stroke in the original series. Brings back memories.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Not tv but radio - "Appointment With Fear" presented by "The Man in Black" (Valentine Dyall"

Classic stuff.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

tullie

Journey into Space and lots of other old radio shows are available for free download here

The only restriction is a daily download limit due to bandwidth restrictions. All the Journey into Space series are there and it will take a few days to get them all, but its worth it.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I think the scariest Dr Who ever was the 'Weeping Angels' episode where the stone statues moved to attack if you stopped looking at them.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

Crowhaven Farm - Scared the living beejesus out of me when I was young. Should try watching it again now - see if it is that scary still!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Another one which didn't scare me, but my lad (who loved practical jokes) was about twelve at the time was watching it on TV. (It was about dark, slimy, jelly like things which jumped out of places and got their victims by the throat).

He had gone to bed and was watching it. The TV was situated between the bed and the doorway.

For a bit of devilment I got a damp flannel, sneaked behind the door and at the right moment, threw it at him in the bed. It got him round the throat and all hell broke loose. It certainly gave him the fright of his life. He never spoke to me for weeks after that and still remembers it to this day. He is in his fifties now and tells his kids about it.

Nothing frightens him at all since then. But I wouldn't do anything like that again to anyone (except maybe Brumas?)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The hit American TV shows 'The Addams Family' and 'The Munsters' were smashing send-ups of everything scary ... do you rememeber 'The Hand'?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015