We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

TV shows or movies that scared you as a child

simonjary

Likes # 0

Which TV programmes or films frightened you as a child?

I was discussing this with another father at the school gates yesterday, and I remembered staying up to watch the Ealing film 'Dead of Night' (made in 1945) when I was about 9 or 10.

I thought it was going to be an Ealing comedy.

Take a look at Dead of Night, it's even more terrifying now!

Other TV shows and movies that scared friends include:

Children of the Stones (ITV)

Dr Who and The Sea Devils

Salem's Lot

The Changeling

Any others to give us all nightmares?

Like this post
jameswalker

Likes # 0

Scariest episodes of tv shows for me (and so, more memorable!):

Worzel Gummidge - Pretty much all of it but especially the episode when the kids make their own scarecrow and play Frankenstein. The Crowman is not happy. That's his job after all. He's the scarecrow 'god'

They make the head from a slashed beetroot and one of its hands is a boxing glove. The kids and their vegetable monster are in their old musty shed, and then…

Then there was a Sapphire and Steel episode with some scary dudes without faces.

And yes… 'Chocky'

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

No telly when I was younger.Actually no Electric either.

The beast with 5 fingers used to scare me in those days.

Only the wife scares me now.

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

When I was quite young, cannot remember how old, I managed to sneak into the local flea-pit to watch "The Mummy's Hand" . I was scared out of my skin and didn't sleep for the next few nights due to nightmares. Of course I couldn't admit WHY to my parents, I'd have had a walloping and "Serves you right" !

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I suppose the first ones that had me on edge as a child were the Quatermass Series. Saw them again years later and found them comical. Must have been a bit of a "scaredy cat"

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

the beast with five fingers

the hand my teacher,Mr Padgett,spanked me with,like paddles only harder.

The movie,The Haunting,the original and best especially the scene when the ghost pushes the door and walls attempting to enter the study.Have the dvd and still sends shivers down my spine.

Maybe the question should be ,why do we enjoy being scared.?

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

That Dr Who and the sea Devils scared the hell out of me and it did not help because it was filmed locally to me at the Forts just out to sea!!

Film A Plague of Zombies!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

My nine year old grand-daughter absolutely loves scary films and specially scary ghost stories.

The only time I jumped at a film way back was the one about the bloke who never gets any older but his painting in the attic does. Why can't I remember the name of it at this moment? Then when he stabbed it the roles were reversed. I think they have made an update of it recently, which I think was called "The Painting In The Attic"

Then there was "Jaws" I remember people jumped at a scene in that.

Recently I enjoyed the film "The Woman in Black". I think that was what it was called anyway.

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

Bingalau, You're thinking of The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde).

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

No tv when i was young but i used to listen to "Journey into Space"on the radio,which seemed quite scary

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I used to be terrified of Doctor Who, and some Twilight Zone and Tales of the Unexpected episodes would send me behind the sofa.

Can't do that now as the sofa is right next to the wall...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)