We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wonga's profits exceed all expectations

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Well, would you credit it! Well no I wouldn't, as tighter financial constraints lead some hard-pressed consumers to take out loans with this and other cash loan companies. Hoping desperately to pay back this short-term loan in time to avoid, as in this case, an eye-boggling typical annual percentage rate (APR) of 4,214 per cent! money lenders

I remember my daughter years ago getting into problems with credit cards. She was using each card alternatively to pay off the other but her debt figures always increased month on month. We were obliged to settle up her debts with the stern proviso that she tore up her cards and would pay us back as she could afford. Taught her a severe lesson in the pitfalls of getting into unaffordable debt.

What is happening to some now far exceeds the situation my daughter was in all those years ago. I do hope the vast majority manage to pay back their loans on time, possibly with the help of family. I hope too that their circumstances change where they become financially self-supporting again. TC.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I'm not a user, or a fan, of Wonga, but to be fair every advert of theirs I've seen is entirely up front about the interest rate and show it in large figures, unlike many others who tuck extortionate rates down at the bottom of the small print, or gabble it so fast you can't comprehend it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July