We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Territorial dispute between three countries escalates in China

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

China, Taiwan and Japan all claim sovereignty over a small group of islands in the East China Sea. Uninhabited but resource rich, they have been recently sold to Japan by a Japanese owner. Now, anti-Japanese protesters have attacked two of Japan's businesses in China, causing extensive damage and a halt to production. island dispute

Geographically speaking, I would argue that because of their closer proximity to these islands, Taiwan has the stronger claim to ownership and unless this dispute is resolved by the United Nations, or other competent authority very quickly, then I fear hostilities will worsen much more over time.

What are your thoughts on this uneasy situation? TC.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I think we should give the Isle of Man to Ireland. And the Channel Islands to France if that is the deciding factor. Then again the I.O.M. is probably nearer to dear old Scotland and once they get independence they will be clamouring for it. I'd better not mention Gibraltar of course.

Taking everything to a logical conclusion we could be part of France.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It's not the only group of islands involved in a dispute over ownership involving the Chinese. The Spratly Islands in the South China Sea has also caused friction.

These disputes are not easy to resolve and, in some cases, the history goes back a long way.

To Bing.alau's list I would add Rockall.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Of course it has nothing to do with the islands themselves but what lies under the seabed around them.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"It has nothing to do with the islands themselves"

Not strictly true - the islands lie close to strategically important shipping lanes, although I agree that gas and oil deposits are definitely a big factor.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

And Hawaii does seem to be closer to Mexico than anywhere else!

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I would think at the present time China needs Japanese business more than Japan need China so I'm pretty sure the Chinese will ensure things do not escalate too far. There are several other countries in the Region who could do the job the Chinese are presently doing.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

It seems that Japan is suffering, not China, as several companies suspend operations, including Nissan and Toyota.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19632047

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad