We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Annoying scam phone calls allegedly from Microsoft

Jollyjohn
Resolved

Likes # 0

They obviously dont keep records. Thursday - the "technician" swore at me and hung up after half an hours run around. Friday - PC kept rebooting when they tried to connect so they gave up after an hour. Saturday - they missed a day. Sunday - after an hour they asked for £150 to fix my PC - I told them I had no money and they hung up. Monday - connected and reduced amount to £65 and not happy when I said I couldn't afford that.

Technical stuff - Until today I was allowing them to attempt to connect to a Virtualbox - XP in Linux.

Today I let them connect to a sacrificial PC. After installing Teamviewer to get control they go on to install LogMeIn which is set to allow remote reboots and reconnect.

They then play around with the command prompt and paste in some lovely red text.

They connect to a support my PC website, failed to copy the address - sorry.

My mistake today was I have just formatted the drive before exploring what other software they may have installed. I did a traceroute the other day and it connects to a server in Germany!

Why do I do this, well if they are talking to me it is one less person they can be trying to scam.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

This 'from Microsoft' story as been flogged to death, both on this forum and others. It's been going on for ages, and a simple internet search will show this.

The answer to this is well published - Don't entertain or get involved with these annoying people or supposed 'from Microsoft' telephone contacts.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Jollyjohn

I rather like your idea of sacrificing a PC to these scammers but unfortunately I cannot as I have never received one of these calls. It would be interesting to see what they install other than TeamViewer or something similar. But I shall certainly keep your idea in mind if I ever get one of these calls.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I wouldn't dream of actually letting them get anywhere near my computer.

I think I should have added spare to sacrificing a PC as you are quite right and I too would not let them on my main PC.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Just to clarify - I have a spare sacrificial PC - it is a collection odds and ends that I use for testing. It has a 40GB HDD with Windows XP that I don't even bother to activate.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

You might want to watch this interesting video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuCFlR-YNdc or other You Tube videos on this subject?.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

I will tick this as resolved now. But just to let you all know I have contacted TeamViewer and LogMeIn, both of which have been used by the scammers and both companies have responded requesting more info so they can attempt to stop the scammers using their software.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...