We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What Size Onion?

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Cooking is usually a combined operation in our house, my wife giving me a list of ingredients to prepare, then she comes down and works her magic, then I cook and serve.

Last week I had !Onion small chopped".

When she came down she said there wasn't enough onion, and when I said she asked for a small one she denied it.

It appears "Onion small chopped" means "Onion (normal size) chopped small"!

I sometimes wish I wasn't so stupid.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

quickbeam. Sailing a bit close to the wind there aren't you?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

QB

That was unkind.

Six months ago I purchased a pack of 24 (sorry, Peter, but this is a genuine story!).

I put them away until we weeded them, and they've not been seen since!

Every week I get reminded about those damned tomatoes.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

You are not looking hard enough to weed them out then?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Tinned tomatoes and chopped up onions are the basic building blocks of a genuine 'home-made' curry. [I'm qualified to say this as I did an Indian Cookery course at the local college, a while back].

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

What's wrong with tomato's that do not see the inside of a tin? My wife was taught to make curry by our Amah in Singapore. It used to take more or less all day and was a work of art. How I would love one now. But "No chance".

By the way neither of us would ever eat an Indian curry, we used to watch Indians in Singers picking their toes and other 'orrible parts of their bodies and they were selling food from their street stalls. It put us off Indian food for life. Not eating their food might also have saved our lives.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

If you are going to start chatting about Indian Curries please do so at a better time of the day as you have now got my taste buds perked up and everywhere is now closed up here. Very cruel indeed. ;-)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"we used to watch Indians in Singers picking their toes and other 'orrible parts of their bodies and they were selling food from their street stalls."

Suggest you look outside the kitchen entrances of some of our better hotels and restaurants when the chefs are on a smoke break.

Such habits are not confined to Indians.

Tens of thousands of British servicemen and women ate all sorts of stuff in all sorts of places for hundreds of years without anything worse than a touch of the squitters.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite