We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Digital Books

wee eddie

Likes # 0

It has recently become known that when you die, your Digital Account dies with you and with it, all the Digital Books that you have ever bought.

My question is: What happens to your Digital Books if the Company that supplied them, ceases Trading, after all you don't own that book? Maybe someone could then buy the Trading Name and ask you to pay more for continued access to the book.

You may say: Amazon is as safe as houses, but unfortunately, the world is full of Blue Chip Companies that have misread a market and disappeared. Also, there are many Niche Market Companies selling a license to view one book or another, some of them will be fairly short lived.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Taking a practical view - can you see anyone from the 'other side' collecting your books?

All the ebooks I have are copied to my hard drive - mind you I have never bought one - they are freebies. So I dont know how failure of the publisher would affect things - other than getting the lawyers work.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

One assumes that the selling Company's DRM will cause the Books to become inaccessible at some point.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more