We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Care of New Laminated Flooring Please?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

Advice on the care of newly laid laminated flooring would be most welcome. I do know not to use excess water, but am thinking of using a product which used to be known as "Liquid Gold". I know that was very good on wooden furniture/floors etc. I was thinking that it might help protect the floor by sealing the joins in the flooring.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I am hoping it is still on the market of course.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

A bit of reading until others come in with suggestions.

Like this post  
woodchip

Likes # 0

It also Depends on how its made solid wood or other

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

It's laminated. Solid wood is no problem.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Chronus. Thanks for that, I have read it and now know what I already suspected. Mainly that keeping it dry is 99% of the way to do it. But I am still wondering about the liquid gold stuff I used many years ago. I think I will Google for that. Probably end up reading all about my favourite drink Bacardi Gold.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Take your pick.

This bring back memories.

Disco music not for me.

Nailed this.

Weird.

Tanning perhaps?

This is the one,has to be.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Chronus. I've also just been Googling for it and have found the correct stuff on Amazon. It recommends its use on wood but doesn't mention laminates. But I think it looks safe enough as long as I use it sparingly by spraying a little on a dry mop and then polishing off with another dry mop.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

So you are not going with my first suggestion mixed in with a little bit of my second?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

It doesn't matter what liquid contains, any liquid is the enemy as far as the joints in laminate flooring is concerned. The laminate itself needs no treatment, apart from a wipe with a cloth or mop that is dampened with a solution containing Flash, or some other proprietary cleaner,

The important thing is to use an absolute minimum of water. Anything you use to try to seal the joints will not work-thermal movement will simply open the joints within hours.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

It does seem to be a doddle to keep clean at the moment. Plus I have looked at the maker's site and they seem to say, that you must use a spray of their own expensive brand of stuff on a dry flat mop. (But as Christine Keeler once remarked "They would say that wouldn't they"? Or was that Mandy Rice Taylor?)

You then follow up with another dry mop. (All for sale at great expense, on their own site of course).

FE. I always thought Flash to be a rather strong cleaner and maybe too strong for this. But then again maybe not.

My mind was running along the lines of WD40. I remember an e-mail which boasted that it was perfect for everything. (or nearly everything anyway).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days