We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Triple expansion steam railway engines?

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Last weekend we spent an entertaining day out at the Manchester museum of science and industry. (I'd post a link, but their site seems to be down right now). I loved the aircraft section, and fell head over heels in love with the Shackleton they have in there (I want one, but my garage is cluttered enough already, and I don't think I could hide it from Mrs WTM anyhow) but steam engines always grab my attention too. There was a static triple expansion engine there, and it always struck me as a piece of sheer genius to come up with it in the first place. Very widely used indeed in ships, but does anyone know why they never seemed to be used in locomotives?

I've asked a couple of people who claim to be railway enthusiasts (I know a bit, but not a lot) but no one seems to be able to give a conclusive answer.

Any takers?

WTM

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Triple expansion locomotives were used in some countries, but hardly at all in Britain, where they were considered to be too complicated, and requiring too much space.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I would think it is due to the UK track loading gauge being so small compared with some other large counties. The largest US loco's are almost twice the size of the largest UK loco.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Yes but aren't the tracks in the USA the same gauge/width apart as the ones in the UK. Didn't I read somewhere that this width was based on the width apart of the Roman Chariot wheels?

If I am going off thread sorry, please delete.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

UK & US track gauge is the same, but the "lanes" are further apart, and so can have a bigger unit hanging either side of the tracks.

Manchester Museum of Science & Industry is fantastic by the way

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

By far the biggest item in the steam hall is a steam locomotive. There is a name for it's type, but it escapes me right now. It's a twin bogie thing, with driving wheels and steam cylinders on each end. On one bogie sits the coal tender and on the other sits the water, with the massive boiler slung between the two. I think this layout was developed originally for use on welsh narrow guages so a more powerful unit could negotiate the twists and turns. However, this was a full sized monster, and I do recall that it had a brass plate on it from the south african railways.

You would only design and build something like that for the power it could give, which was the inspiration for my original post. which was why not use a triple expansion on rails. Size for size they would give a considerable improvement on single or even twin cylinder models.

WTM

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

WhiteTruckMan

The museum's website is down at the moment, but I've found the loco you mention on Wikipedia

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Thats the beast!

A serious piece of kit. Obviously built for sheer power. Now think what it could have done with a triple engine at each end instead of those cylinders. Each engine directly driving an axle, and that axle linked to the others on the bogie by connecting rods.

Certainly complex, but no more so than some I have seen. Plus, for the same power output, more fuel efficient, surely important to railway operators, a notoriously tight fisted bunch.

WTM

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

WTM, do I detect a serious case of drooling over this 'monster'?

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Actually no. It's a piece of genuine curiosity and mystery to me. However, had you seen me with the shackleton...

WTM

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks