We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

whats the problem with kate photos

sunnystaines

Likes # 1

if she runs around topless why complain when photographed, william is looking straight at the camera in one of the photos must have known they were being taken.

most young ladies go topless in the sun so why the fuss.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It's not about the woman in question it is about privacy laws that affects us all. This case will set a precedence about the paparazzi. As for Afghanistan, my son will be back from that hell hole in about a month (second tour). Something like this is to do with peoples rights, be they men women or children. Akin to Afghanistan. At least in Europe you have the chance to uphold decency, law and order without resorting to violence and our troops, out in troubled countries, are there to help the people who can't help themselves against tyranny.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

rdave13

This case will set a precedence about the paparazzi.

I'm afraid it won't you know! If any sort of precedence was going to be set don't you think it would have happened after Diana died? It didn't then, it won't now.

As for your son, I have the greatest respect for him and all those in our armed forces, my cousin has served in Afghanistan with the Welsh Guards, he feels it is a pointless operation and as soon as ISAF forces leave we will be back to square one.

But that is for another discussion at another time.

can you not see the incongruity of discussing the trivia of photos of a woman's breasts in comparison with the momentous events which are taking place in Afghanistan and around the world?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Flak999 , yes I can see your point of view but is it just a case of taking a photo or is it how it was accomplished? The subject of the shot is important but what are the questions to be asked in a court of law on how this breach of security happened? As that is exactly what happened. Radio 4 commented that the usual fines for such magazines is around 20 to 30,000 euros for breaching privacy. This might be upped slightly considering the circumstances?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I think we're losing sight of the basic principle here because of the person involved.

Any woman, whether in a position of privilege or living in a shanty in a Brazilian slim, is entitled to privacy if she disrobes in what she genuinely believes to be a private or personal place.

This is no different to poking a camera through someone's bedroom curtains, or drilling a hole in the wall of the women's' changing room in the local swimming pool.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Flak999

On the subject of incongruity and momentous events, can you not understand that in a normal, well-ordered society there must be room for discussing what you call 'the trivia' of life?

I very much doubt that Kate Middleton, or any other woman for that matter, views the unwarranted invasion of her privacy and subsequent publication of topless photos trivial. What happened was illegal, and it's illegal for a reason - all of us are entitled to feel that there are areas of our life which have privacy boundaries around them, and that those boundaries will be respected by others.

What you call momentous events may have a huge impact on people, but something like personal privacy is of fundamental importance also, albeit in a less dramatic fashion.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

If anyone has seen the photos concerned they'll know they're astonishingly grainy, and look like they were taken with an early phone camera.

The fact is they were taken with something like a Canon 1D, the same cameras that took the excellent pictures we've recently seen of the olympics.

Then consider the photographer would have been using a 500mm lens, maybe even adding 2x teleconvertor to make it 1000mm.

Even then Kate was only a tiny spec, about 400 pixels top to bottom of an image that is 4000x3000 pixels.

If the photographer was less than 1000m away I'd be surprised.

Those mentioning snipers, they'd need to be damn good to get a shot at that distance...

Like this post
LanceAlot

Likes # 0

I heard she was digitally retouched as well, but which parts I'm not sure.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

fourm member Forum Editor

By all means discuss trivia to your hearts content if you so wish, what I take issue with is the totally disproportionate amount of media attention focussed on this particular trivial issue, when there are far more important matters for the world to focus it's attention on.

It shows a complete lack of judgement on the part of the couple, to disrobe on a balcony of a house which is overlooked from a public road. Given the history that William has in dealings with the press I would have thought that he would have been acutely aware of the possibility's for an incident to occur.

However the event has happened, and now like his brother there is more prurient press attention focussed on the couple and their behaviour!

What the couple hope to achieve by legal action is beyond me as well, the pictures are out there. Published today in Italy and the US, yesterday in Ireland and who knows where tomorrow! All they are doing by pursuing this through the courts in France are making the pictures worth more and more.

According to the James O'brian show on LBC this morning the possible fine for the magazine is mooted at 60000 Euro whereas the photographer has possibly earned half a million Euro from there syndication! The increased sales and circulation for the magazine will make the fine appear small change indeed.

All this legal action is achieving is to give a massive boost of free advertising to the publications which seek to publish these pictures. the Princes legal advisor's seem to have forgotten we all now live in a digital age and no amount of huffing and puffing on their part wills stop these photos from being seen again and again!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Once again, this appears to be a discussion which is likely to end up rather heated?.

When you become a celebrity in whatever form, you should suspect that the good comes with the bad, and except it as that, instead of looking for a guaranteed division of public and private. How many times as the likes of a Ms K Price and similar other person's used the media for their advantage, and this includes Royalty and politicians and other public beings, and at the same time complained loudly about their rights to privacy, when it suits them. Daily I would imagine?.

Talking about people being jailed over this incident, as been suggested, is pure nonsense. But then, if you have the money and power, you can ask or demand for these things?.

Quite a number of years ago, I had 'covert' photographs taken whilst on duty, and those photographs were used for a record promotion. My bosses (a major police force) were not very pleased in the least and make a number of representations regarding issues raised on this incident, but to no avail, even though it made media news. Perhaps the worse thing about that incident, was the fact I was unable to claim any royalties or fees for my participation and perhaps short-time celebrity status!.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

Flak999

"to disrobe on a balcony of a house which is overlooked from a public road"

Are you saying that the recent press reports of the public road being 1km from the residence was not true?

I would have thought that it was fairly obvious what the intention is, that is to make anyone else tempted in the future to be aware that doing so comes with a consequence.

Rather than welcome the revenue the owner of the Irish publication has hinted that he may close that publication down I think that message will have been a pretty sobering to the editor and others

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow