We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BAe Merger

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Anyone else having misgivings about the possible merger of BAe and EADS?

I know size is now everything to compete on world markets, but although it's a merger it surely cannot be good for British industry?

EADS is the bigger partner and BAe could be inexorably subsumed.

The French have an enviable record in looking after French jobs.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Nothing wrong with that if done in a fair and honourable way.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Natdoor and morddwyd that was the point I was making about the French looking after it's industry far better than British government before I got shouted down by FE using examples of French strikes, they strike because they can without having to jump through hoops and giving a months notice as to when it will happen.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Strawballs

"I got shouted down by FE using examples of French strikes, they strike because they can without having to jump through hoops and giving a months notice as to when it will happen."

How ridiculous of you to accuse me of shouting you down - I did no such thing. I simply engaged with your argument, and if you can't defend it without getting upset when someone disagrees with you it might be better not to take part.

The French government introduced (in 2008) a new law requiring French transport workers to give at least 48 hours notice of their intention to join strike action. This legislation was driven by the fact that - as I've already mentioned - French Transport workers are notorious for their habit of staging strikes with little or no notice. It was felt that the French people were at least entitled to have some warning that their trains and buses etc. were about to stop running.

How effective has the law been? The French unions have routinely ignored it completely, and have continued with their militant policy of striking whenever the mood suits them.

The French government 'looks after its industries' no better than our own government as far as labour relations go. In fact in the transport sector the industry has to look after itself - the government has failed dismally, particularly where its National railways are concerned. Those workers are among the most militant in Europe.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

What's the point of introducing laws if they are not going to enforce them and as I said before what that French firm did with the TV factory here would be illegal in France so yes they are looking after their industry better than the British Government.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

Strawballs

I can see that you're determined not to give up on this, so I will. I've lost the energy to continue.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Why give up on a fact!!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

It has been announced this morning that the two companies have decided to cancel their plans for a merger.

The main point of disagreement appears to have been the insistence by our government and the heads of the two companies involved that directors appointed by the French, German and UK governments should not sit on the top board of the merged group.

Our government had two main concerns - that control of the UK business would end up in Paris or Berlin, and that British jobs might be threatened. The other important factor was that the US government was worried about undue French and German influence over the merged company. BAe wants more contracts from the Pentagon.

It's likely that these two companies will continue to talk behind the scenes, to see if they can arrive at a workable proposal for some time in the future.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

It's likely that these two companies will continue to talk behind the scenes, to see if they can arrive at a workable proposal for some time in the future.

Personally, I hope that all future negotiations, whether internal or government, fail as I believe any such merger would be detrimental to both our sales, employment and economy - not to mention the independence of our national defence.

There are some functions that require independence from European interference and control. Allowing any level of outside control in such an important element of our sovereignty would, I believe, cause our political and military independence to be breached.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

johndrew

To be technically correct, their was no question of any outside control of an element of our sovereignty - neither of the two companies is nationalised.

There was certainly a concern about our national security however, and I think that's what you meant. The political aspects of the case relate to our worry about governments appointing directors to the main board, and that was certainly something that our government wanted to avoid.

Our ability to manage our own national defence policies and contracts in the strictest of confidence is obviously of paramount importance.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

We now need a change of management at BAe.

Someone who can develop a strategy for the company on it's own in a world where many of it's customers are spending less on the products it manufactures.

Much shareholders money has been wasted on a proposed merger which was always going to be beset with political difficulties and has laid bare the weak business plans of the company.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK