We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BAe Merger

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Anyone else having misgivings about the possible merger of BAe and EADS?

I know size is now everything to compete on world markets, but although it's a merger it surely cannot be good for British industry?

EADS is the bigger partner and BAe could be inexorably subsumed.

The French have an enviable record in looking after French jobs.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

My first year at college was spent at the huts under the bridge then Highbury in Cosham that was a lot closer to home as I lived in Pauslgrove. I was working for VT Shipbulding whe we were bought out by BAE

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

With respect to morddwyd , I don't wish to hijack your post, but if you will allow my indulgence to reply to Strawballs I would be grateful.

Strawballs , I remember distinctly that Vosper were the first to trial a GRP hull as a minesweeper boat. The first prototype had a hull that was two inches thick in some places. Being young and dumb at the time I didn't follow through with news of the success or not. If I remember correctly they had two vessels that were on trial. Do you know, or remember anything of this?

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Will start thread rdave13

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Thank Strawballs, and morddwyd.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"With respect to morddwyd , I don't wish to hijack your post"

Not at all.

Regularly used to visit Marconi at Brown's Lane during my torpedo development days!

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

FE It may be possible to get an assurance on jobs and security from EADS and the French and German governments. However, the UK government will be powerless to ensure that these undertakings are met. Think of Kraft and Cadburys.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The largest investor in BAE has stated that it has significant reservations about the merger BBC News

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"The difficulty the merger talks are said to be in is over the 'golden' shares for the various governments."

More precisely, our government wants Germany and France to reduce their shareholding in the merged company to a level that would preclude either of them from having the ability to control the business.

Our government has a 'golden share' in BAE, and has said it will use its power of veto to block the entire deal if Germany and France don't comply. A further requirement is that the defence division of the merged business must be based in the UK. Germany and France would probably agree to that condition.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 1

I believe that the UK government wishes the other two to reduce their holdings to 9% each. The golden share would no longer exist after the merger. With the combined government holdings and other continental holdings, the merged company can do as it likes, just as Kraft did with Cadburys despite the assurances given only three weeks earlier.

Sadly I feel that there is too much evidence that the French cannot be trusted and the merger is far too risky from the UK standpoint.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 1

"there is too much evidence that the French cannot be trusted "

Totally untrue and unjustified.

You can rely implicitly, without any qualms, on the French to do what is right for France and the French.

Wish we had a government like that (and I don't just mean the present one, either!).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow