We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BAe Merger

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Anyone else having misgivings about the possible merger of BAe and EADS?

I know size is now everything to compete on world markets, but although it's a merger it surely cannot be good for British industry?

EADS is the bigger partner and BAe could be inexorably subsumed.

The French have an enviable record in looking after French jobs.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Strawballs

the French government looks after its industries so well that French transport workers are among the most militant in Europe.

Brittany Ferries has just resolved a dispute that saw French workers staging a series of 24 hour strikes at very short notice.

Have you not seen those famous occasions when French lorry drivers have paralysed the Channel ports with their road blockades - Ditto French farmers?

The French government has a dreadful record when it comes to handling industrial disputes,and one action by a French commercial enterprise doesn't do anything to prove a point.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

That just means they have not brought in the same anti-strike laws as Britain has because the balance of power has swung from the unions (which it needed to) far too much in favour of the bosses. Any way is anybody going to respond to my point of the TV factory or just conveniently ignore it??

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

We need to look at past experience in the military aviation business to understand the duplicity of the French. Perhaps you are not aware of the AFVG programme of the late 60s and the actions of the French government. [Wikipedia article].

Plans for the simpler aircraft were finalised first and the Frenh proposed that they take the leadership on this project (which became Jaguar) while Britain, on account of its leading position on military aircraft development, should lead the AFVG project. The British government agreed and a couple of months later the French withdrew.

The article states that the French withdrawal was on the grounds of cost. However, it was stated at the time that a review of their defence policy indicated that they no longer had a requirement for an aircraft of that capability. They nevertheless immediately went ahead developing the Mirage G using concepts developed under the AFVG project definition phase.

In my view, a merger should only go ahead under the condition that a UK based entity, reporting to the main board, had complete control of all military activity within the consortium. And that won't happen!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Strawballs , brings back memories to when I served part of my apprenticeship in Woolston, Southampton as a boat builder. That must have been in 1970. Sad to see this.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Strawballs

I did respond to your point, I said: "...one action by a French commercial enterprise doesn't do anything to prove a point., and it doesn't.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I was in the Training centre there next to the sewerage farm in 1978 but was based at Portchester!! small world

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Forum Editor No you didn't it would have been illegal to have done that in France who you say don't look after their industry!!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

natdoor Our government has already stated that it will use its share in the company to block the deal if its required 'red line' priorities about UK security interests and UK jobs aren't met.

As things stand they aren't in the deal, and with only a short while to go before the detailing deadline it looks very much as if the deal will be blocked.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Gordon Bennet. My college wasn't far from the 'floating bridge'. The site was used to build the Supermarine Spitfire during the war, or rather, develop the machine.

Made a lot of friends there but sadly have lost all contact with them. Just about 17 yrs old then. Small world indeed.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Strawballs

For goodness sake,how many times must I repeat it - one example doesn't validate your whole argument (that the French government 'looks after' its industries better than our own government). You cite an isolated case. It's not proof that the sweeping statement you made is true.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback