We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BAe Merger

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Anyone else having misgivings about the possible merger of BAe and EADS?

I know size is now everything to compete on world markets, but although it's a merger it surely cannot be good for British industry?

EADS is the bigger partner and BAe could be inexorably subsumed.

The French have an enviable record in looking after French jobs.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I heard about the proposed merger on Radio4 this morning. It looks like a great idea [on paper] but with so many countries involved in both companies namely Britain / United States / France / Germany and to a lesser extent Spain, it's going to be very tricky to keep everybody happy if they decide to go ahead with the merger.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

With BAE having only a 40% share of the proposed merger, I think it likely the French and Germans will be in the driving seat - the Spanish are only a small partner by comparison. This could easily cause problems for the UK employees and political difficulties with the USA as BAE owns and is partnered with US military suppliers there. I am ignoring all the overseas customers that BAE has who may not wish to deal with other European countries.

From my immediate perspective, there is also a concern if the BAE pension schemes become involved either with other EADS schemes or with attempting to get funds from EADS.

One day someone will realise that big isn't necessarily better, cheaper or more politically acceptable.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

HB

My point exactly.

The French, the major partner, are not well known for their attempts to keep everyone, other than the French, happy!

One hopes our aircraft industry is not about to go the same way as our shipbuilding and motor industries.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It is not just aircraft but shipbuilding BAe build ships, including submarines at Barrow.

This merger is fraught with difficulties and should be blocked. 2 articles of interest Telegraph 13 Jul and Telegraph minefield await

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I had a flyer from BAE Systems today providing information on some aspects of the proposed merger. One I found very interesting is that as a result of the BAE dividends being larger than those paid by EADS, those paid by BAE in the future would be held down and extra paid to EADS shareholders. Seems to me BAE shareholders will not get the best end of this deal if it goes through.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

An anagram of BEA EADS MERGER is :-

SAME BARE GREED

There might be something in that!

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

morddwyd BAE own most of what's left of the Shipbuilding Industry in Britain, I work for them at what was VT Shipbuilding in Portsmouth

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Should not believe everything you see in Tory rags

Nrews reports of failure false

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I'm hoping it does not happen because I'm I work for BAE and the French will always look after their industry and the British Government don't so I could see us loosing out if it goes through!!

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Where I live there used to be a factory that produced TV's owned by Ferguson they sold out to a French company Thompson who then took that factories full order book transferred it to one of it's factories on the continent and shut the British factory down, in France that would be illegal so please don't tell me the British Government looks after it's industry as well as the French!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes