We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Poll: What are your initial impressions of the iPhone 5?

PC Advisor

Likes # 0

Now that the iPhone 5 has launched, we what to know what you think about it.

Let us know in our poll.

Poll: What are your initial impressions of the iPhone 5?

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 1

FE

Thank you for your response. I am fully aware that I am not in charge and I never said I was. You are correct that I have no experience in keeping your Magazines Free resource going 24/7 but I do have experience in setting up even bigger systems which ran 24/7, one of which carried life saving information so I do have some experience in what sorts of problems can occur and the time it can take to resolve even the silliest little thing. My experience goes back to the 1970's when we had to build air conditioned buildings to install our Leo 326 machines and all the paraphernalia which went along with them but despite there being a whole generation apart I'm pretty sure the problems when things went wrong are not too dissimilar and in fact are probably a little easier to resolve these days.

My comments were not thoughtless as I did think about them before I wrote them and I make no apology for making them as this is not the first time this year that the site has had troubles and indeed is still having this morning as it it still taking over 1 minute to change pages and also took me 2 hours to log in with constant "There is a problem With your request" messages. When these sorts of things are happening a lot then who do you look at other than "your development team" as surely they are the responsible ones?

This may very well be a free service to users but it is not a free service as your company is not in that business, so if it wasn't making money for the company it would not be here.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 1

Matt Egan

Thank you for your response. I do understand what your problems might very well be and what you are trying to do. I also understand the problems many printed publications are having these days and the need for you to expand into a bigger on line presence. My working days are well behind me now so the views I give on this site are from a users point of view, the very users you need to survive these days. As a regular tester of Symantec products on this site, which is always a pleasure to carry out, we do comment on what they have to offer and whether they listen to these comments or not I have little idea, but at least they do ask. Do you ever think of asking the users of this site what they think of changes you propose before you make them? I also hear what you say about it being free but as I have already sad to the FE you are not in the "being free business" so you are not really being altruistic as your advertisers pay for it in the end and I'm not entering the long debate about adverts on the site.

I fully expected there to be problems during the iPhone launch, and there was, but I was able to watch it on several other sites without problems, so perhaps it was more than just a DDoS affect as you had almost the exact same problems with the launch of the SIII.

This morning it took me over 2 hours to be able to log in as I was getting the "There has been a problem with your request" message constantly and it is still taking over a minute to change pages, if it does change at all. As you say, I have been with you for some time, but not half as long as some, so I have seen many changes not only here but in the written work before I stopped getting it, and I seldom complain strongly about what you are doing. However from a user point of view these lapses are not doing your credibility as a "Computer Expert Site" a lot of good and I'm pretty sure you cannot be happy about them yourself. I was not out to cause offence by questioning the competency of your site developers as surely that is exactly what you should be looking at when problems such as this happen regularly as who else is there to look at?

Anyway I have made my point and you have to your credit allowed me to do so, so I will not say more on the subject.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 1

I went with the don't care option, as I'm one of those strange people who just use a phone to make and receive phone calls.

As for 4G coverage, by the time it arrives in rural West Somerset, Apple will be releasing the all-singing, all-dancing iPhone 23!

Like this post
Footloose1949

Likes # 0

Somewhat underwhelmed ... it's a new 'toy', most of the functions it (and other 'phones') have I don't use. Give me a a full-screen keyboard suitable for my thick fingers, and I might use it more. My main demand is for reliable network coverage everywhere in the UK, which isn't something a handset can make work better, so it's a just 'Mutton done up as Lamb'.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Condom

"I know if I was in charge I wouldn't be at all happy at what it is doing to the reputation of what is after all a PC magazine where people would I suspect expect better. Perhaps it is a time to be looking at who is doing the work and their competency."

You're not in charge however, and I doubt that you have much idea about what's involved in keeping a free resource like this going, 365 days of the year. Your thoughtless comments about the competency of our development team are offensive, and totally uncalled for.

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 0

Condom we've been getting twice the traffic we normally get, concentrated into a very small space of time. It's like being hit by a DDoS attack. I have aplogised before, and will gladly do so again, but there isn't a great deal we can do about it. We are, after all, in the business of attracting traffic!

As for 'constantly tinkering and never getting it right...' - here's a shot of the site from 2003 (coincidentally, when I started at PC Advisor): https://twitter.com/MattJEgan/status/246559531881078784/photo/1/large

The fact is technology evolves, as does the expectation of readers.

We are no longer primarily a print publication. We publish across multiple media to more than two-and-a-half million readers every month (and that's without iPhone launches). Honestly, if we didn't 'tinker' we wouldn't be in business, and you would have nowhere to post. We don't always get it right, and we do value the feedback of our users, all our users. We'd be foolish not to.

For instance: we're going to limit the social sharing bar in the forums in direct response to this thread. But - for context - the forum represents around 10 percent of all traffic to the PC Advisor website, so we simply can't base all of our design and UI decisions on the wishes of some forum members. We take all views on board, and try to make the best decision for everyone. Sometimes we get it wrong.

I hope this helps, but I have to say that I don't appreciate you commenting on the competancy of our hard-working development team (who are, for the record, on call whenever the forum is open - which is 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.) The PC Advisor forum is free for everyone that uses it, and all are welcome. Especially those such as you who have been long-term supporters. It belongs to you. But we provide this service free of charge, and while you are more than entitled to comment, you don't get to make cheap digs at the expense of people who are just - with respect - doing their jobs to the best of their considerable ability.

Matt

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 0

I was the first person at my university to get a mobile phone. As a consequence, I rarely used it, and because it was so heavy it lived in my room. My sister went to the same university five years later, and had a totally different experience - everyone had a phone, so in a sense she never left home.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"so in a sense she never left home."

When my youngest daughter made her first Hong Kong/Thailand trip she used to phone home every couple of days or so, and regale her mother with (sanitised)accounts of her trip. They talked for hours, and it wasn't until the day before she came home that it dawned on me that I was paying her mobile phone bill.

None of my children have a land line - they conduct their social and business lives on separate mobiles. The girls are iPhone addicts - my son couldn't care less, as long as his phone can make calls and handle email he's happy.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'm a little bit underwhelmed by the new phone. I am due to change my phone at the end of the year but this hasn't made me say I will have an iPhone. I don't think I will see a real reason for it until 4G is available in my area and that may take some time. Everything Everywhere (EE) are rolling it out in just 16 cities initially and that doesn't include a city near me.

There appear to be some errors in the PCA reports and about EE and Orange and T Mobile. See Orange. The PCA report "iPhone 5 won't support O2 or Vodafone 4G networks" states "Orange and T-Mobile customers won't have the option for 4G either. However, since they are owned by EE it will be easy to move over to the new operator." The Orange site makes it clear that Orange and TMobile customers are being moved over to the EE network and so therefore will have the 4G option.

The review possible needs proof-reading and spell checking. "At first blush both new materials" was just one I spotted. I think that it means glance but blush may be appropriate!

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Personally I thing the change to the docking system is going to tick off quite a few existing apple users. Will it be a deal breaker? For some, almost certainly. Will it be enough to impact on apples thinking? probably not. I think apple are in danger of loosing touch with its customer base and giving the public what apple thinks they should have, not the other way round.

I might add that I own no apple products at all, so I have no axe to grind on this.

WTM

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia