We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Poll: What are your initial impressions of the iPhone 5?

PC Advisor

Likes # 0

Now that the iPhone 5 has launched, we what to know what you think about it.

Let us know in our poll.

Poll: What are your initial impressions of the iPhone 5?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I agree that the absence of Passbook for the IPad is regrettable, but I'm guessing the reason is the absence Of an NFC (Near Field Communication) chip. Without that technology PassBook isn't going to work.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Found that the only way I can get Street View is through another app Live Street View.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

There is no NFC chip in the iphone 5 either! Apple must be intending to implement the passbook feature in a different way?

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

there is a bit of an explanation for the lack of NFC here Why no NFC on iphone 5

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It seems that the venue scans the Passbook and you may need other apps to work with it. This makes it even more puzzling why it isn't on the iPad.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I've been reading the reviews on Apple Maps. They are bad. I was considering an iPhone - not now.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I think Apple have made a huge mistake ditching Google maps! Their new map app is shockingly bad, Steve Jobs must be spinning in his grave.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The Apple maps fiasco is something that should have the developers hanging their heads in shame, and for an Apple apologist to go public with 'the more people use it, the better it will get' is about the most pathetic rationale I've heard yet.

Google maps on my iPad is superb, and has navigated me through numerous journeys, both here and on the continent without putting a foot wrong. Why on earth Apple decided to abandon all that for an underdeveloped, in-house adaptation of something it got from TomTom is beyond me.

Serious egg on the corporate face, and yes, Steve Jobs would have been very embarrassed.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

"Steve Jobs would have been very embarrassed."

I suspect he would have ensured it was properly ready before release.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Mr Mistoffelees

Steve Jobs was responsible for his fair share of blunders.

The Apple Pippin, that couldn't decide whether it was a game console or a PC

The Apple Newton - the world's first PDA - came to market underdeveloped and at too high a price point.

The PowerMac G4 Cube - a triumph of style over substance.

Apple TV - the less said about that the better.

All of those pale into insignificance when compared with Steve's biggest blunder, which was to sell all but one of his Apple shares when he left the company in the 1980s. At the beginning of this year posession of those same shares would have valued Steve's personal holding at $45 billion.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more