We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Poll: What are your initial impressions of the iPhone 5?

PC Advisor

Likes # 0

Now that the iPhone 5 has launched, we what to know what you think about it.

Let us know in our poll.

Poll: What are your initial impressions of the iPhone 5?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Flak999

I've never been that interested in an iPhone, but suddenly I want one, if just for the Passbook feature alone. The thought of having my boarding card appear on the screen as I walk into an airport, or my theatre tickets as I enter the lobby is very exciting.... Assuming it works.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The BA App already allows you to have a BA boarding pass on iPad or Android phone. Not all airports though accept it and you have to check.

Does Passbook automatically open?

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Forum Editor Woolwell

Upgrade to ios 6 went faultlessly, have been playing with the new features all evening. Passbook is there but not functional as yet, it relies on the various companies writing apps that make use of the feature, but it promises to be very good.

Not sure I prefer the new mapping compared to the Google offering but I dare say I will get used to it, the new panorama feature for photographs is very good and I'm glad they have moved the Bluetooth function to the top of the settings menu!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Wool well

I've used the BA app since it first became available. It's good, but Passbook promises to be very good. As Flak999 says, it will require airlines to sign up to the idea, but they will - competition will see to that.

Passbook relies on the operating system knowing your location, but once that's sorted it will automatically show a boarding card as you enter the airport. It will also update to advise you of your boarding gate number, if that changes for any reason.

In time, Passbook promises to be one of the most useful apps around, especially when shops and theatres are on board. No doubt other platforms will soon have something similar.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The snag that I have found with the BA App and wonder if it will be the same with Passbook is that it only show one boarding pass and not other members of the family. If they don't have a phone which can run the app then you are back to paper.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have upgraded my iPad2 to iOs6 and am distinctly underwhelmed. Passbook is not available for the iPad (surely this is a big mistake). Siri is not available. Other features like Find Friend and Find iPhone have to be downloaded as apps. The Maps imagery appears to be more up to date than Google Maps. I don't need the VIP bit in email. Safari hasn't been greatly improved.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

No street view in Apple Maps - what a failure and flyover is very limited.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I've now had time to "play" with Apple Maps. Uk satellite coverage is poor. The outskirts of Birmingham has virtually non-existent satellite coverage but the centre of the city has flyover.

Based on what I have seen of iOS6 then I am less inclined to get the iPhone.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I see I'm not alone in complaining about Apple Maps BBC

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Yes, I must agree. The maps are truly dire compared to the Google map app we used to have. I'm very surprised that Apple have let this slip through like this!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote