We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What would you use to erase data?

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

It would appear that technology is outstripping tools designed to safeguard data on HDDs when the PC and/or HDD changes hands. Although the data many of us have is not likely to cause an international furore if lost it may be very uncomfortable on a personal basis.

Apparently much sanitising software can now be reversed and the drive content read. Does this concern you?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Can't see the point in just denting the casing, it is the disc inside that needs destroying.

I unscrew/prise open unwanted HDDs and destroy the shiny disc (it looks like a cd/dvd disc) I put it between two pieces of cardboard and then smash it with a lump hammer. (the shards are very sharp - you don't want them flying about)

The magnets are very powerful, I have saved some of them waiting to find a use....

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I was amazed to find files still recoverable on a drive I'd formatted to accept linux(wrong partition)then installed a linux OS,then formatted back to NTFS and recovered 100% of the files I'd mistakenly overwritten which all were perfect.I did this with a freeware program so I would imagine that data recovery techniques will've advanced lots as this was some years ago.The Gadget Show did a demo of drive destruction & even one that'd been set on fire still had recoverable data on it,from my memory I think the only drive with totally unrecoverable files was one which had been "dissected" with an acetylene torch.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Everyday thieves

Such as those reported upon in Nigeria on a TV programme. The collect old PCs and HDDs and spend hours seeing what useful data they are able to get from them. Apparently with some success as bank accounts of previous owners of the hardware have been raided. When questioned many said they had wiped the drives.

Like this post
LanceAlot

Likes # 0

DBAN is supposed to irretrievably delete data.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I often wonder when people begin to talk about computer security, and possibly taking hammers to hard drives, when perhaps at the same time, very simple regular security or malaware checks are not taken or even thought about.

Trend Micro have recently stated that using a Java enabled browser can bring security problems through search engine activities, and how criminals can use this to their advantage. Yet how many people are actually aware of this increasing possible problem?.

An article in the latest Computer Active magazine highlights this very problem with "Java leaves PC users in hot water". A remedy for perhaps resolving part of this issue might be found here http://www.computeractive.co.uk/2202858

Perhaps going a little further, I wonder how many people purchase computer systems from liquidation or administration auctions and outlets, possibly as a job-lot purchase, and find masses of information left on hard-drives. I have made a number of purchases from these sources, and the results can be very interesting or alarming, depending on how you want to view the subject of computer security or responsibility?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks