We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What would you use to erase data?

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

It would appear that technology is outstripping tools designed to safeguard data on HDDs when the PC and/or HDD changes hands. Although the data many of us have is not likely to cause an international furore if lost it may be very uncomfortable on a personal basis.

Apparently much sanitising software can now be reversed and the drive content read. Does this concern you?

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

A replacement hard drive and take a hammer to the old one is the only truly reliable method.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Does this concern you?"

No, it doesn't. I make sure that sensitive data is protected as far as possible whilst in my possession, and no PC of mine ever changes hands without having a new hard drive installed. Old drives are destroyed in the best way possible - hit hard with a hammer, and consigned to the bin.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I recently purchased a second-hand computer from a local computer shop...the hard-drive [80gb] appeared to be nearly empty. (5% in use).

I was able to ' recuva ' about 40gb of music files which were still intact!

The original owner and the shop had been careless ... but I was happy to get 'something for nothing'.

Like this post  
johndrew

Likes # 0

To hit hard with a hammer and consign to the bin will not work so well for those who wish to recycle to another user for say altruistic, economic or even green reasons and may not be an option. As a result security of data may be a major consideration.

Additionally, it may not be so long before even a hammer ceases to work as with technology moving so quickly it is not beyond the possibility of even mechanically damaged storage being recovered economically. What then, or does the eventuality give you no cause for concern?

I have little data other than account numbers and a few documents that I wish to keep private but others (especially business and Governments) have substantial quantities. Perhaps it is these who need to consider such security issues.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

There are certain commercial company's that take hard disk destruction to a new level. I have seen units capable of chopping a hard drive into little bits in seconds! Perhaps local recycling centres will introduce this technology?

Like this post
cycoze

Likes # 0

I have had to deal with sensitive data in the past, used to software to delete and overwrite the data before removing the platters, scratching them all over, then using a hammer to totally mutilate them into a small folded lump........... Good luck and deep pockets to any company who could find them and retrieve any sort of useful data from them!

For any machines I have passed on, the drives have been replaced.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

The problem is many people think formatting a drive makes the data unreadable.

That is not the case. It only deletes the File Allocation Table.

For the type of data most people have on their Hard drives one of the free software programs is quite adequate. The following might help http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/howtopermanentlydeletedata.php

I have used Darik's Boot and Nuke and Eraser in the past.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Most files I simply delete, any work files that touch my home PC are deleted with Eraser using 35x overwrite of pseudo random data - I'd like to see anyone recover data after that.

My work laptop drive is fully encrypted, so if it falls into the wrong hands they can have fun breaking the encryption.

If I ever do a spring clean on my PC I tended to use CCleaner to wipe the free space.

As for destroying drives, all our old PCs and laptops are taken away by a company who run the drives through a big induction loop to demagnetise the platters, they're then tested, if there's any readable data on them they simply pop the drive into Madam Guillotine. If the drives are working but empty they're formatted, have Linux installed and shipped to Africa...

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I erased a HDD this very morning. I used a cold chisel and a lump hammer.

Anyone wanting to retrieve any data is very welcome to try.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

We couldn't afford proper school jotter erasers to modify our homework essay mistakes (early 60's) ... so we used the dry, stale left-over slices of bread that had not been eaten that week to rub out any pencil errors.

'Cos I didn't like to see edible bread go to waste, I improved my essay-writing techniques and diligently made an effort to safe bread.

johndrew...I've wandered.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data