We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HM Revenue & Customs

Chegs ®™
Resolved

Likes # 0

After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity, we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of 190,05GBP. Please submit the tax refund request and allow 7-9 working days in order to process. Please download the document attached to this email and complete the form.

Note: A refund can be delayed a variety of reasons, for example submitting invalid records or applying after deadline.

Yours Sincerely, HM Revenue & Customs

Above is an email I received this morning stating I should complete a form and return it to HM Revenue & Customs for a tax refund.It contains a couple of instances of poor english and on the form I downloaded are a few links,one of which says "Contact Us" but doesn't actually take me anywhere which makes me extremely suspicious that it is a scam to obtain my bank details.Thats where they've scored an own goal(if it is a scam)as firstly,I have no bank account & secondly,they can't steal money from a non-existent account.If they tried to use my identity to commit fraud,again they're going to find out my credit rating is probably less than zero and the only place likely to offer them credit is Wonga(I watched Watchdog earlier)If it isn't a scam,then the money would be a great help just now.Anyone any suggestions as to what action I should take?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

You are right to be suspicious, it wants access to your Bank Account

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Been about for months, I have had several of them.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

It's a scam. HMRC will never communicate about your personal tax affairs via email. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions of similar messages have been sent over the past year or so.

Bin it, and go back to dreaming of a lottery win.

Like this post  
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I have had three genuine tax refunds in the last year.

All of them, both cheque and separate notification letter, came by post, even though I do my HMRC business on line and am registered with the on line government site.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

On the subject of poor spelling I saw an Ad yesterday for the Kumon Maths and English tutoring organisation with spelling mistakes in it. Doesn't really inspire much confidence.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Thought it was an attempt to access my bank account,thank you.It is now deleted & added to the list of blocked senders.It did look genuine though so I can see how people get caught out,but only genuine at first cursory glance.Once I looked a little closer,I saw the grammatical errors which set the alarm bells ringing which is why I tried to use the "Contact Us" tab.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I have previously discussed this with a senior tax inspector at HMRC. He said that they're well aware of the security risks associated with contacting taxpayers via email about personal tax matters, which is why they will never do it.

Everything goes via post. It takes longer, costs more, but it's more secure. Part of the reason for it taking longer is that all HMRC letters go out via a central clearing depot. Letters to me from a London tax office go to Newcastle first, and then back to London.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

I get these email fairly regularly, delivered straight to a spam folder.

A while back I read / heard a report that reasoned why types of emails are sent out with spelling and grammatical errors on them. It's not because no-one has bothered proof reading them, or that the author didn't speak very good English. It's because the scammers only want the most gullible people to click the links - the people who won't stop to question anything that's asked of them, for any reason.

Granted, there aren't too many of those people around, but if you fire out enough spam, you find someone eventually.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"...if you fire out enough spam, you find someone eventually."

You find plenty of people, that's the problem. There are lots of spammers who have made a great deal of money.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad