We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Liverpool Hillsborough Football Scandal Press Conference

Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Has anybody been watching the Prime Minister and others apologising for the debacle of the Hillsborough scandal? Also in Liverpool at this moment there is a press conference going on which is very interesting about the stitch up which followed. If you aren't watching it you are missing an interesting program.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

If the fans had not left it to the last minute to leave the pubs and then stampead the gates when they realised that the game had started then the Police would not have been put in the position to have made the mistakes, yes the coverup was all wrong but the fans themselves must take a lot of the blame.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Bing.alau I still don't see what Mr Cameron has to apologise for, he wasn't in charge at the time, I'm not sure if he was even in parliament when the disaster happened. So he has no responsibility for the conduct of any of the services involved, if he was apologising on behalf of the Government I don't see how you can blame them either, the police seem to be at fault and policing is not a direct responsibility of the Government.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

wiz-king

Our Government establishes, and has responsibility, for law and order. They are ultimately responsible for the actions of the police (unless you are saying we are already a police state?).

So the apology from the PM was perfectly correct.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

wiz-king

David Cameron was apologising on behalf of the nation. It was a symbolic act, and it was his to make as Prime Minister.

As spider9 has indicated, the Home Secretary has ultimate responsibility for policing.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"The ground had been declared unsafe in many aspects"

It was also subject to the spectator cage that had become normal at that time for football grounds. The legislation that required these to be fitted in grounds at that time was seriously flawed in not taking into account a crowd incident emergency evacuation onto the playing area.

One such emergency was required only 4 years earlier at the Bradford City ground with the fire that still killed over 50 spectators.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

wiz-king. I would think that our police force is the responsibility of our government. Who else is responsible for it? Our PM was mostly apologising for the cover ups which have taken place over the last twenty three years (by all the governments Labour and Conservative). He was right to do it and I think he made a very good job of it too. His stock has probably gone up in the eyes of the people of Liverpool.

I have noticed recently that pitch invasions seem to be creeping in again. This puts the players at risk and should be stepped on by the football club concerned at the time and by the FA.

Not much has been said about the responsibility of the Football Association in this tragedy. Some of the blame must rest on their heads for staging a match at an unsuitable ground.

I agree some of the fans should take some of the blame too, but in the end the responsibility for control of them belonged to the police force. I think the then boss of the South Yorkshire police force is where the blame will rightly end. He made a big error of judgment and then covered it up aided and abetted by the establishment at the time. They thought that "Might was Right" and applied every devious trick in the book to avoid the blame.

The Sun newspaper, I believe has published an apology this morning, I have not seen it as I haven't been outdoors yet. But from the reaction of the public on the radio this morning in Liverpool, it is wasting its time. They have obviously known the truth for many years, as have other parts of the media. But they have done nothing about it. So it is too late.

As I have said previously I am not a Liverpool fan, so have no axe to grind on their behalf. But I am certainly glad that the truth is coming out at last.

Will it change things? In my opinion "NO".

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

The cages were only introduced because of fans behavour so another example of the fact that the fans should shoulder some of the blame and not always trying to blame the police.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Strawballs

It seems to me to be pretty evident that the Police made a dreadful error in ordering gate C to be opened. It enabled the fans to have direct access to the pens which were already full, with fatal consequences.

It doesn't really matter which way you look at it, the decision to allow so many people through that gate was wrong.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I don't know why, but the means to green tick this thread seems to have disappeared.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"The cages were only introduced because of fans behaviour... etc"

Whatever the reason was, the legislation was implemented without realising that the first route of an emergency evacuation in any stadium is onto the playing area. It may never have been officially recognised that that is the case, but the Bradford City fire that engulfed a wooden stand in less than 5 minutes only 4 years earlier, where the fans did have to evacuate onto the pitch seems to have gone right over the heads of those that in authority that introduced the cages. Both those that called for it, and those that didn't call for them to not be fitted because of the safety implications.

If we were to fit them today, we would see them having a means to collapse them within seconds and staffed with cage stewards that would only be responsible for operating an emergency cage collapse.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite