We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cold Calling at the Door

BT
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a sign on my door that says I don't want Cold Callers, That I don't BUY or SELL anything at the door or want quotes for home improvements among various other things that I add to from time to time.

Scenario

Door bell rings, Chap at the door says 'I'm not selling anything but can I give you a quote for windows, doors etc.'

Now the way I see it if someone wants to give a quote they are trying to SELL me something, which brings me back to 'I don't BUY or SELL anything at the door.'....

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Just make sure you do not kick somebody of the doorstep telling you to evacuate the house, there is a GAS Leak!!!!!!!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Brumas ... could you send one of those photos to me ... to help scare off the pigeons round the back [of my flat].

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

FE

As for doorstep callers - we just say "no thank you" and shut the door.

That's all very well but when its a bit of a struggle to make yet another unnecessary trip to the front door as I and probably some of our other older forum members experience, its hard to be polite.

My gripe is that they totally ignore my sign that says as one of the items that I do not want quotes for home improvements of any kind. Its quite obvious that I have double glazing, A UPVC front door, a Conservatory, and a garage door. I know that they are only trying to make a living and probably only get paid on the leads that they get, but in the area that I live every house already has modern windows and doors so they don't have much chance of getting much business. Most of them are working for the bigger companies such as Anglian, Zenith, etc.

Then the reply that they didn't see the sign when its printed in garish colours on A5 paper and is right alongside the doorbell just doesn't wash. I'm thinking of printing up some leaflets in big letters with the local Specsavers phone number as they obviously need some assistance with their eyesight. The best excuse a couple of weeks ago was that he didn't know what the sign said as he was Dyslexic. Maybe he was maybe he wasn't, but it still meant I had made yet another unnecessary trip to the door.

Like this post  
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

or perhaps the sight of a bucket of water balanced on a ledge above the door with string leading inside might disuade them

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Brumas, Aitchbee. Don't think I haven't noticed those remarks. One day you too will be old and ugly, Not far away either is it? Sleep easy tonight....

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

Several years ago a friend of mine had a cold caller (from a double glazing company from a mountain) knock on the door and ask him to take on double glazing, my friend said to him are you blind look at my windows and doors they are all double glazed, with that the double glazing seller said "have you thought of double glazing replacement windows"!!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

have they all been forced into a name change by the call center or are they starting the conversation with a monumental porkie

It's quite common in Asia for people to adopt western names when dealing with westerners.

I deal with a few Korean and Chinese companies where staff have names like Jerry Wang and Billy Chen.

I also know a Pakistani man in Lahore called Eric Brinksworth, that's his real name on his birth certificate...

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

My next door neighbour had new triple glazed windows and a new front door fitted on Tuesday and still the double glazing reps knocked at the door today to see if he wanted them replacing. I certainly wouldn't repeat his response in polite company!!

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

canarieslover

That's priceless!!

I repeat my comment about referring them to Specsavers!!

Like this post
JYPX

Likes # 0

The Post Office will soon be rolling out a scheme which will entail the postman (formally instead of using his initiative) to knock on your door and ask you to accept parcels for your neighbours. If you tend to be at home a lot I suppose it is possible that you could become his first point of call for all the houses around you...???!!! Or you can opt out if you wish.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features