We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cold Calling at the Door

BT
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a sign on my door that says I don't want Cold Callers, That I don't BUY or SELL anything at the door or want quotes for home improvements among various other things that I add to from time to time.

Scenario

Door bell rings, Chap at the door says 'I'm not selling anything but can I give you a quote for windows, doors etc.'

Now the way I see it if someone wants to give a quote they are trying to SELL me something, which brings me back to 'I don't BUY or SELL anything at the door.'....

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

BT. I had a caller the other day in more or less the same situation as you. I politely told him to not darken my door again, or he would never even cross his own threshold again. He was quite shocked and went away with his tail between his legs.

Have you tried a "Beware of the Rottweiler because he's got rabies" sign? You never know but that might work.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

I politely told him to not darken my door again, or he would never even cross his own threshold againstrong text

I would suggest that could hardly be described as polite. Just some poor sod trying to earn a living.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

BT .... 'You will have to ask my landlord.' works quite well.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"You will have to ask my probation officer" works even better!

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I have had several phone calls recently that start "I'm not trying to sell you anything..." at which point I either interupt by saying "I cannot understand a word your saying" or simply hang up without a word.These cold-callers might do a lot more business if their accents weren't so strong that they're almost beyond comprehension.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

".....simply hang up without a word."

Which is my preferred method of dealing with those calls.

As for doorstep callers - we just say "no thank you" and shut the door.

I can never understand people who seem to think that aggression is a clever or funny way to respond to cold-callers.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I live in a block of flats, with a security locked door at the main entrance.About a year ago, I took it upon myself to stick a little NO COLD CALLERS sticker at the main entrance. (please was not on the sticker).

It has worked.

Like this post
Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

Why is it that all the cold callers from the Indian call centers have English names ? They're all Derek or Alan, never a Krishnan or a Muhammad, have they all been forced into a name change by the call center or are they starting the conversation with a monumental porkie, something that isn't going to endear them to me.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

I live in a similar building, Aitchbee. They ask to be let in once I have made known I'm not interested and I politely say no; It isn't up to me to make the decision that it is ok for them to come in and knock directly on my neighbours' doors, despite how much I may wish to inconvenience soem of them now and then.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

I usually have no problem as I have a laminated photo of Bingalau outside the front door which usually scares them off, however I have taken it down now as I am fed up of people calling and telling me Halloween isn't until the end of October! ;o}

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia