We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Health & Safety inspections

interzone55

Likes # 0

This is what happens when health & safety inspections are ignored.

Almost inevitably cutting costs starts to be more important than staff safety.

I've visited factories in this region and death trap doesn't even come close to describing some of the hell holes down the back streets of Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

The problem is, I think, that H&S staff have gone beyond what was intended when the Act was placed on the Statute Books. It is, perhaps, a badly written piece of legislation as are a few others I could mention.

It's a result of the blame culture which now invades this country, "if there's blame, there's a claim"

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

HondaMan. Yes I remember when we used to be amazed and laugh about it happening in the USA. Now it is more prevalent here I think.

People going to court when they scald themselves on a hot coffee they have just bought etc.

When will a judge come out and say to one of these people "It is your own fault you silly so and so. The costs you will be charged are £++++,00 Now go away and grow up"?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Why can I only put two asterisks in a post? Is it to stop people swearing I wonder? Maybe it's Elf and Safety again.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...asterisks contain a certain amount of risk (TIC).

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Another regrettable follow on from these tragedies is that the relatives & dependants of the workers who perished will probably not see a rupee (or whatever the currency is) of compensation, because liability for the 'accident' will remain unresolved.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Hopefully it with force the country into accepting safety standards what we accept as normal standards. And yes the price of trainers will go up to pay for it.

Only 6 years before our own 1974 H&S legislation came into force I remember this fire in Glasgow while I was living in Dunfermline as 12 year old and recall the general public shock at the time that there were factories in Britain with fire exits barred for security reasons.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

There are regulations, but they're not enforced because it's cheaper to bribe the inspectors than to install fire exits and fire fighting equipment

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

But don,t you think that we have gone overboard with Health and Safety in the the work environment?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

namtas

In some instances yes, but too much is far more preferable to too little.

For instance we have mad signs all over the place at work, including the faintly ludicrous "Food Only" sign on the microwaves, but last week at one of our sites someone tried to dry some paperwork in a microwave, it set on fire and caused several premises in the same building to be evacuated...

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I am always very careful when using my microwave oven. It heats up cups of cold tea/coffee quite efficiently, it is also brilliant at making my morning porridge, But I got a shock one morning when I placed my cup of cold coffee in it and was rewarded with a quite illuminating show of sparkles and lots of crackling noises. Luckily I was quick enough to turn it off, and then realised that the top of the cup had been annointed with a gold paint which must have had a metallic content.

I suppose drying out damp paper is not as bad as drying the pet cat or dog, which I believe has happened in the past. "Some mothers do have 'em".

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...