We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Local Air Show

morddwyd

Likes # 0

For the first time since I left the RAF I would like to go back.

According to a local report

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Fife/article/24843/organisers-promise-leuchars-airshow-will-be-typhoon-tastic.html

" aircraft from one, two, three, four, five and six squadrons line up on the Tarmac." at Leauchars this weekend.

Certainly not something I saw in the whole of my career, and I should think pretty much a one-off.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Already have tickets booked for self, children and grandchildren - just checked weather forecast and it's looking fine!

Roll on Saturday.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

At one time the aircraft of six squadrons would hardly have dented the total compliment of RAF combat aircraft, but now it is a large part of it. Hopefully your show will be good but remember to take your ear defenders; two practising ACM are noisy so that many in display will be deafening!!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

It looks like it's going to be an awesome display...and I really wish I could be there...the closest I've been to any aircraft is about 200m, watching from the interior of Glasgow Airport. (The ticket prices look very reasonable...about the same as watching a football match on saturdays, I would think.)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Looking at the Leuchars air show site I am fairly sure that is not six full squadrons taking part. The site http://www.airshow.co.uk/ is very slow to load. There will be a formation of 9 Typhoons plus single aircraft displays. It sounds like a good air show. Regarding the squadron numbers is that historic numbers or current numbers? IV Squadron is currently Hawks at Valley.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

We were treated to a show from the Vulcan Bomber on Sunday, what a magnificent aircraft...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Before RAF Finningley closed we had the only 3 Vulcan scramble as part of our annual airshow.

What a magnificent din that was with 3 Vulcans on full bore one after the other. I don't think there was ever anything noisier, even stone deaf people could hear it with their chest diaphragm!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

No, sorry, I didn't mean the whole squadrons.

Even just one from each, 1 to 6, would be unique in my experience.

Annual displays was one of the few aspects of the service I was glad to see the back of as it invariably meant much work, which is fair enough, but it was at the expense of your own day to day work which had to be caught up on.

I didn't mind when it was an "At Home" day, when folks just came and wandered around, subject to security and safety, seeing what you were spending their taxes on while you got on with your work as much as you could.

Now it's purely a commercial enterprise, with the sole aim of separating as many people as possible from as much money as possible.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

As a teenager I used to love going to the local shows in Abbotsinch before it was closed and taken over as the new Glasgow Airport. As photography was my in thing taking photos was my main aim and I'm pretty sure I still have the negs lying around somewhere of the Swordfishes and Gannets (My god what an ugly Aircraft). My favourites were always the Vampires and the Venoms and it always amazed me how small they were when compared to modern jets.

When camping with the scouts in NI in the late 50's we were near some site around Hollywood where there were literally dozens of old Vampires and Venoms just lying in bits and I often wonder where it was. Perhaps some of the old RAF chaps will know where I am talking about.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Quickbeam I was at Finningley for a 101 Squadron Colour Presentation and a three aircraft scramble was laid on as part of the proceedings. I hate to say it because the Vulcans were Mk2s from 617 Squadron but they provided the best scramble that I had ever seen. Normally with a scramble there is a definite delay between aircaft for safety reasons but 617 scrambled as one.

In the halcyon days when we had a viable Air Force every station had its Open Day, normally to celebrate Battle of Britain Day. One year we took our Lincoln to Heathrow for the weekend and had trouble getting away because of the crowds surrounding the aircraft.

Hope everyone enjoys the show.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

For sheer noise volume then a Vulcan cannot be beaten but for beauty of sound in my opinion a Sea Fury doing aerobatics is good. There are youtube videos of its display. I see that it is at Leuchars.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...