We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Local Air Show

morddwyd

Likes # 0

For the first time since I left the RAF I would like to go back.

According to a local report

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Fife/article/24843/organisers-promise-leuchars-airshow-will-be-typhoon-tastic.html

" aircraft from one, two, three, four, five and six squadrons line up on the Tarmac." at Leauchars this weekend.

Certainly not something I saw in the whole of my career, and I should think pretty much a one-off.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I also remember one year on a cloudless humid day when the Lightning did it's stuff which basically consisted of lots of fast flypasts just below the sound barrier (early H&S?) with multiple vapour bursts boiling of the fuselage. It finished with a full bore vertical climb that had everyone looking into the blue as it became an even smaller black dot, and the sound of it climbing still went on and on, even after it became invisible, we were all still looking up into the blue. Then there was a flash in the sky as the sun glinted on it when it levelled out and the sound of the sound continued back down to us for a moment longer.

The next plane came in and did it's stuff, 10/12 minutes later they announced that our lightning had just arrived at RAF Leachars after a full speed flight up the North Sea.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"basically consisted of lots of fast flypasts just below the sound barrier (early H&S?)"

What in God's name has that got to do with Health & Safety?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

spider9

Don't know where you're travelling from but be aware that the police are insisting that the general public uses Park and Ride,"which could add considerable time to their overall journey".

If you try to get near the airfield you will be turned away.

http://www.fife.police.uk/Default.aspx?page=7099

You may want to allow a bit of extra time!

Like this post
sunnypete

Likes # 0

morddwyd, much too far away...(had the impression you were West Country)...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"What in God's name has that got to do with Health & Safety?"

Well don't you think that if they were allowed to do supersonic flypasts now, someone would say you should be issued with a pair of ear defenders on entry...?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Supersonic flypasts, or any other sort of supersonic flying over land, was prohibited a long time before 1974., because of the damage to property, particularly greenhouses and stained glass in churches.

The only time it is allowed now is in an emergency, such as a genuine QRA alert, and by genuine I mean a fast unidentified aircraft, not some Russian Bear they've been tracking for 800 miles.

Any pilot who causes a pressure wave now will find his log book endorsed.

The only ones I've heard since the 60's have been from aircraft on their way down without a live pilot.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

But they were fun! I remember, just, as a 5/6 year old going to Biggin Hill in the early 60's when we lived in Bromley and being terrified as sonic booms galore were the norm at an airshow:)

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Thanks, we'll be staying at St Andrews tonight, and are aware of 'Park & Ride' - but very grateful you took the trouble to advise. Cheers.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Probably too late for you now, but one of the PnRs is within walking distance of At Andrews.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

morddwyd

We drove onto our booked on-site parking at 8am without any holdup, and had a great day (I should stress only the kids were excited - we adults weren't - much!!). Lots for the nippers to do and see, the air displays were excellent, some of the snacks, exorbitant (but only to be expected). Roll on next year when I rashly promised to do it all over again...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers