We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fuel Price Investigation by the OFT

HondaMan

Likes # 0

Saw this today.

Any bets on what their report will say. My money is on something like "No further action by the OFT is needed"!

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I'm sure that, if the OFT investigation does result in reduced prices at the pumps, there will be suitably large duty increases to compensate, so we don't all go mad with the extra money.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Oh so that was the reason behind the report. I thought it was just to give some more work to the lawyers .... cynic me!

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

One of the worst elements of fuel price is the escalator which the last government built in to the price.

I know that the politicians say that this country has a financial problem and that the deficit needs to be dealt with, but on the other hand they are saying that we (the public) are not spending. IMHO they should reduce VAT which impinges on everything we buy and cut out the fuel price escalator altogether as fuel prices also affect most other items.

Rant over!

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

The purpose of the fuel price escalator is to wean us off our obsession with using up a finite resource as fast as we can.

Utter rubbish.

It's just a way for the state to raise money. They know that for a lot of people their car (status symbol) will be the last thing to go. Never mind their children, they can starve, but the car, the cigarettes and the booze have to stay

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Part of this investigation will cover supermarket fuel, and the possibility that they're using fuel as a loss leader, which is driving people from local garages.

Since this report was announced my local Asda has put up Diesel twice, by 2p a time. The other garages in the area are at the same price they were, but still 4p a litre dearer than Asda

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I suspect that the major supermarkets treated fuel as a loss leader to draw customers in at one time.

They've now captured much of the market for fuel with many roadside filling stations closing down. Margins are being squeezed on foodstuffs with people trading down due to the economic climate, so they've improved margins where they can, fuel being one.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Forum Member

I can quite easily follow that up by saying that I have never considered the fuel efficiency of a car when buying it or the fuel cost of a journey if I have to make one.

My first consideration is always safety, hence why I normally now buy Saab or Volvo. My second consideration is comfort hence why I normally buy a large top of the range car. My third consideration is style hence why I used to buy large Citroens until they lost it after being taken over by Peugot. I don't travel much in the UK these days but when I do it is a case of fill up the tank when it needs it at the local supermarket but only when I am shopping there.

If I couldn't afford what I wanted then I would buy second hand or stop driving.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Unless you can honestly follow that up by saying you have never considered fuel efficiency when buying a car or never thought about the fuel cost of a journey then you have made my point for me.

Hand on heart, I can

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Condom - couldn't agree more. Like you, I drive a Swede, a Volvo C30 T5 as it happens, the wife drives a Fiesta ST, neither of which are particularly frugal. As a "fun" car I drive an MX-5. I did not consider the green credentials when I bought. Safety and comfort were the deciding criteria not the running costs

If I had to worry about the running costs, I would rather not drive.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Unlike some here, I've got more sense than money, so fuel efficiency comes top or next to the top of my buying considerations.

Last purchase I made I chose the most efficient car I could find that wasn't made of tin foil. I chose diesel because no-one currently makes an electric vehicle that can do my 130 mile daily journey with enough reserve to allow for cold days, and that can be charged from a 13v supply in under 12 hours.

I didn't chose a hybrid because in almost all cases I've seen 3rd party reports on, the real world efficiency is below that of an equivalent diesel.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made