We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fuel Price Investigation by the OFT

HondaMan

Likes # 0

Saw this today.

Any bets on what their report will say. My money is on something like "No further action by the OFT is needed"!

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

No, I never look at the fuel efficiencies. The choice between Volvo & Saab is styling choice. My next car will obviously not be a Saab so I do hope Volvo styling gets back on track after a year or two of so so styling.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Condom

Now that Volvo is free of Ford control you may get your wish.

Such a shame about SAAB, they built some truly wonderful cars...

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I've never been good enough at maths to work out the running costs of any of my cars,I did finally opt for a diesel as it used the same fuel cost per week as the previous petrol car did per night.My next car will be purchased with occupant safety as the primary consideration as I've discovered the painful way,that Cumbrias roads are patrolled by accidents looking for a place to happen(usually to me)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Fuel efficiency may be a factor for some people, but it is by no means universal.

Everybody has there own major criterion for their next car.

Styling. manufacturer, safety, mechanicals, dealer network, part ex allowance, colour, emissions, insurance costs, we all have our own.

For me it is simply a flat floor with fold flat rear seats so that I can get a power chair in the back. I don't even open the driver's door until I have checked this out.

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

Oresome

It's a long time since supermarkets truly used their fuel prices as a loss leader. Where I live in Port Talbot, Tesco is one of the most expensive in the area - in fact Tesco fuel prices in Port Talbot are 5/6 p a litre more expensive than prices in Watford when I went through there a while back. I suspect that supermarkets think they have enough of the market now to have their prices so they make a good profit - I always give a wry smile when I see a Tesco tanker with "Why Pay More" written on the side of it. Tesco still do their drive around the area to check the prices on a weekly basis but when one of the other filling stations puts up their price to match Tesco's price, Tesco increases it again, usually by a penny a litre.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

"The purpose of the fuel price escalator is to wean us off our obsession with using up a finite resource as fast as we can"

So we pay around £1.40 per litre to save the planet.

In Venezuela they pay around 2p a litre. Not sure of the cost in Dubai, but my friend whi lives and works there tells me it costs £10 to fill up his big 4x4.

It's obviously just a money making method for the government.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad