We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

TUC Congress: T-shirts

hssutton

Likes # 0

Is this how low certain people of this country have become? I've never heard of anything so disgusting in my life.

Maggie T-Shirts

Like this post
Kev.Ifty

Likes # 0

I would love to find a link to the time when Thatcher ridiculed Shirley Williams' statement that the Tories woud have to double VAT to get their policies through. At the time it was 7% and Thatch increased it to 17.5.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

To be accurate VAT was 8% when Thatcher came to power and rose to 15%.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Launching into an orgy of 'she wrecked the country and the lives of the ordinary working people' is pointless in the context of this thread.

The point is that some people are sufficiently lacking in common decency that they are quite happy to tell all and sundry that they would dance on a person's grave.

I have no time for people like that - they are a disgrace in my opinion.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

john bunyan

Was it worth destroying a large part of the coal industry, and the communities they served, just to defeat Arthur Scargill really justified, especially as many of the pits have been profitably reopened?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

alan 14

If you read natdoor's post of 8.11pm in this thread : Unions, I also have worked in other parts of Europe where Unions and management via works councils etc usually talk through problems in the spirit that a successful company will pay relatively well. I think the likes of Arthur Scargill, Mick McGahy were the ones who destroyed the coal industry and its communities by their use of strikes as a political weapon. Had the "natdoor" approach been made, the industry may have lasted a bit longer but I suspect many mines would never have been sustainable. I do not wish to make this personal. and suspect we will never agree on the issue. I am not a follower of any political party but also totally deplore this T Shirt and any such tasteless antics.Whatever one's views on Mrs T those who proposed this shirt must be the most heartless people alive.

Also in their last full year of operation before the pit strike, British Coal made a loss of £485million. That figure excludes the subsidy received by British Coal from the electricity generating companies who were being forced to buy British coal at an above market price simply to keep unprofitable mines open. If this "subsidy" is taken into account, British Coal was losing £727 million per year. That is equal to £1.4 Billion Pounds in todays prices. This was and is unsustainable and the labour party did little to reopen many pits.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

How is having been elected a defence?!

What kind of orgy is the FE used to?!

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Tasteless & deplorable,but a sign of the times.I can recall other T-shirts being banned,& the wearing of them produced a prosecution for causing offense.I expect the wearers of these T-shirts to be fined,& if anyone is actually insane enough to go & dance on a grave then they should be incarcerated in a secure hospital.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

hssutton "I've never heard of anything so disgusting in my life."

If that is true then I suspect you've led an extremely sheltered life! There are worse depravities happening to people all the time in this country and elsewhere.

The tee-shirt sentiments are in very poor taste, but then again I personally find a lot of 'new' comedy equally appalling. Sticks and stones...etc?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

ps

Presumably Lady Thatcher could make the classic, old, response to 'dancing on the grave' -

"Good, I'm being buried at sea"

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

It's all well and good these people saying they will dance on her grave but the latest thing is she's going to be buried at sea.

And that tee shirt is wrong, the colours aren't quite right.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer