We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Stoptober campaign

tigertop2

Likes # 0

I see the government is launching a 'Stop smoking for a month' campaign called 'Stoptober' across England and Wales commencing 1st October. The first mass campaign of this sort. The reasoning behind this is that if you can stop for a month you have a very strong chance of stopping for ever. The reason I and my wife stopped--on the same day- nearly 35 years ago was someone telling me that the body actually starts the recovery process from smoking damage just 8 hours after you stop! That kept us going and we never smoked again

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

fourm member

I did not say " 5m early deaths a year are infinitesimally small" using your figures and statement I alluded to the "5 million shortened lives" you stated in an earlier post, I took that to mean the 5 million who perhaps would not live there 3 score and ten years, but that had knocked off a few years because they smoked. But even 5 million 'deaths' from one billion smokers is a tiny number.

There's nothing about heroin that causes crime

Absolute drivel, an addict will commit any crime to get enough cash to pay for their next fix.

If as you say I am confused please explain,in simple terms what harmful addictions are as opposed to strong addictions. I have heard of the former but not the latter.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

"Studies have shown that crime levels fall in the vicinity of treatment centres."

Is that because all the better houses for stealing from are in a different area.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I always thought that party researchers looked for things that would back their views and I now think I'm pretty sure.

This is a month long stop smoking campaign with a catchy title which will probably be just as unsuccessful as most of the rest.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I've smoked for 30+ years,I used to quit regularly for months without any problem,then go out drinking & find myself resuming smoking next day.I gave up drinking several years ago,but refuse to even try quitting smoking now as I'm already somewhat volatile and I dread to think what I'd ruin without a cigarette.Besides,the state the UK is in I don't particularly wish to hang around an extra 11yrs.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK