We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Stoptober campaign

tigertop2

Likes # 0

I see the government is launching a 'Stop smoking for a month' campaign called 'Stoptober' across England and Wales commencing 1st October. The first mass campaign of this sort. The reasoning behind this is that if you can stop for a month you have a very strong chance of stopping for ever. The reason I and my wife stopped--on the same day- nearly 35 years ago was someone telling me that the body actually starts the recovery process from smoking damage just 8 hours after you stop! That kept us going and we never smoked again

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Nicotine more addictive than heroin yet smokers get very little help when compared to the hundreds of millions spent on drug addiction. There has been a bit of a campaign up here in Scotland on the millions spent on methadone with very little to show for it.

I too am an ex smoker, my smoking contributed to my throat cancer but the reason I gave up is I no longer could afford it. Good luck to all who try to give up in October but remember there are worse thing to be addicted to.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

The financial benefits from the tax take is far too much for sucessive governments to ever mount a seriously sucessful anti smoking campaign.

One might reasonably argue that the healthcare costs far outweigh the tax take, but the tax is now, whereas the costs are 10, 20, even 30 years away.

Just the usual short sightedness that one would expect.

I believe the phrase to describe this behavior is 'kicking the can down the road'.

WTM

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Agree with WhiteTRuckman. Same with alcohol! This is just to show that they "care". They really do think we are stupid. Should ban it outright if they mean it and prosecution and sentencing for crimes induced by alcohol should be meaningfully severe to make a difference, same for illicit drugs

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

"Worldwide (very round numbers) smoking accounts for 5 million shortened lives per year, alcohol 1 to 2 million. All other substances covered by the UN conventions - about 200,000."

But of course you are not ofering that as an example of how addictive anything is, which is a very difficult thing to establish indeed.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Infinitesimally small numbers given the worlds population of 6,973,738,433 (World bank 2011, and given that the World Health Organisation estimates that there are one billion smokers worldwide. WHO Smoking. WHO Alcohol.

But I do think that there are certainly worse addictions as both drugs and drink can and do lead to crime which will mean far more people are affected.

Either you figures are wrong of you have missed off some zeros.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I had a heart attack 21years and 7 days ago. The consultant said to me "You WILL give up smoking". When I came out of hospital a week later I had not smoked a cigarette and I have not since. The shock of having a heart attack must have made a big impression on me because I never had any withdrawal symptions. I had tried previously on a number of occasions to give up unsuccessfully. There was one occasion when I had the urge for a cigarette for a few seconds whilst driving my wife from hospital after her father had died. It was such a guilty feeling.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

It seems that smokers are again the 'fall guy' for a Government initiative,if they were to campaign for a 'stop drinking for a month' maybe the bias would not be so obvious.

It seems that alcohol and its effects are more acceptable than smoking.They both cause personal damage yet the former is more socially,and possibly financially, damaging in respect to crime.

I do not smoke but i do like to drink so ,if only to prove to myself,after tonight for one month no drink.

Not excessively to drink,by the way.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

daz60. If I were to stop drinking for a month, the only difference would be in my weight and my wallet. I think that would apply to a lot of people too. I would probably lose a couple of pounds in weight anyway.

But that's sometimes what causes smokers to re-start smoking when they are trying to give it up. They put weight on quite rapidly because they start comfort eating.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

There may be something in the "one month" figure.

The only reason I stopped, or was able to stop (50 years at 20+ a day)was because I picked up a hospital acquired infection which put me in bed for three weeks, during which time I did not smoke.

When I was well I thought I would be a fool to start again, nothing to do with will power, the craving had just lessened, though I missed it for about two years.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Smoking causes harm to the people who use it, rarely does it cause immediate harm to other people directly and it's the worse craving I have ever had, even now over 8 months after stopping I still want a FAG.

Stop smoking for a month what a laugh, if that happened this government would be in a state of panic looking to make up for the lost revenue from the sale of tobacco products, people losing their jobs because nobody is buying tobacco, last thing they want.

Drinking on the other hand causes crime that is directly linked to drinking and what do they do, extend drinking hours.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014