We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are your neighbours getting closer?

oresome

Likes # 0

Relaxation of planning laws to be introduced to boost the building and DIY markets will allow double the size of permitted ground floor development by you or your neighbour without obtaining planning permission.

I can see this leading to problems.

What do you think?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Are your neighbours getting closer?"

HB's certainly aren't!

However, it's England only.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Relaxation of planning laws to be introduced to boost the building and DIY markets

Another odd policy from the government,prior to retirement due to ill health I worked for a company supplying safety wear and the like to the building trade all over the Borders of Scotland. My retirement really began as the recession really kicked off and the building trade was very badly hit. But it had absolutely nothing to do with planning regulations, it was about money and the fact that building companies could not get loans to build the houses and buyers could not get loans to buy. I saw many many site which had been bought, planning permission obtained and even foundations put in place only for work to stop due to lack of funds.

So I fail to see how this proposal to relax the planning regulations will make much of a difference. One odd thing I noticed in the latter months before I finished is that big companies were now chasing the small renovations or extensions which previously they would not have bothered with. This of course had a knock on effect as the smaller guys who would have normally have bid for this type of work were being drastically undercut by the incoming big boys.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I can't understand this at all.

As Chronus said, the downturn in building is due almost entirely to money supply issues, as banks and suppliers have tightened credit.

I'm in the security industry, and we've suffered a lot as our customers have had trouble getting paid from their customers.

One of our competitors rather stupidly trumpeted extended credit to all their customers, so they were very busy for a while, but a few months ago went into administration for the second time as few of their customers were paying off their huge debts.

Besides, just how people bother applying for planning permission for their conservatories?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

On almost every episode BBC TV's " Homes Under The Hammer ", the subject of Planning Permission is always a major issue confronting the buyers of the properties...the removal of walls and the replacing of windows also need planning consent...as well as tree removal.

I can foresee many legal issues arising from this 'smart idea'.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I tend to agree with most of the above comments, the main problem is the obtaining finance both to build and buy. I am no expert in money matters but I saw many months before the the crash, the cost of houses could not increase almost exponencialy as it was. The cost of houses at the lower end of the market has become out of reach of first time buyers, so the rest of the market crashed as no one is able to up size. All of the problems we and most of the rest of the world are experiencing is down to greed by the big banking organisations.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

There is one point I omitted to mention in my previous post is, The building regulations will have to be adhered to, so there will be limits as how close an extension or building can be to it's neighbours.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

So I fail to see how this proposal to relax the planning regulations will make much of a difference

Simple. Too expensive to get a builder - D.I.Y. Will lead to poor building standards, dangerous construction methods and cost cutting which in turn may lead to more difficulty in selling, more fires through dodgy electrics and more floods due to faulty plumbing

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

HondaMan

It's the 'Planning Permission' that's being relaxed, not building regs - so all work done, be it DIY or a firm, will have to be inspected and 'signed-off' - so there will be no differences with dodgy building.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

romanby1

All of the problems we and most of the rest of the world are experiencing is down to greed by the big banking organisations.

Nope - it's our greed. Banks don't push up the price of houses, the people selling them do.

And at least part of the blame her can be levelled at the likes of Sarah Beeny, for promoting the idea that anyone can buy a house, give it a lick of paint and make £30k in a week...

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

This will probably cause a glut of front door porches and Conservatories to blossom.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...