We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Night of the Long Knives?

morddwyd

Likes # 0

More like the Sunday afternoon of the closed penknife.

More ineffective tinkering.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

How do you know it will be ineffective?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"How do you know it will be ineffective?"

Oh no! Not again.

I know of no such thing, I'm simply expressing an opinion.

And I didn't say it will be, I said, or implied by context, that it is.

A bunch of nonentities replaced by a bunch of other nonentities.

If I'm proved wrong I fully expect, and am prepared, to be told so.

If you're going to challenge my opinion, do so, but let's have a debate, not a demand for proof.

If I state that 2+2=5 I expect to be asked for proof, but not just for honestly held, albeit not shared by others, opinions.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

These "nonentities" are elected politicians. How would you change that?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

He's still bound by his coalition terms. You won't get a drastic swing to the right on any policy unless the Tories win an outright clear election and I still say this government will run most of it's course. Any election soon is likely to gift Labour another term in power as the short political memories that we have, have already forgotten the midden that they left the country in, and we'll believe that the coalition has brought all this hardship upon us.

So I would agree with your more like the Sunday afternoon of the closed penknife analogy.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I heard Nick Robinson, a BBC political correspondent, on the Today programme. He believes that most of these appointments were inspired or prompted by Osborne, to get rid of opponents to his Treasury targets/ ambitions and to promote those who are his "friends" re policy.(Eg Heathrow runway etc)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"How would you change that?"

The only way is to remove the franchise from those who insist on electing nonentities.

However, one person's nonentity is another person's statesman, and I have no wish to lose my vote!

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Does anybody know what would happen if everyone ekse refused to vote at the next election so every person standing only got their own vote.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Kevscar1

Maybe the Parliament would increase in size to quite a few million depending on how many of age candidates there were.Not a good idea. I do agree that the Party system means that few good independent candidates get elected so in effect we vote for parties even though few of us belong to them. It was ever thus, unfortunately, in recent tines.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe if Cameron and Osborne stepped down we may have got someone that could run the country without so many mistakes that those two have made.

Then they probably would not have needed a reshuffle.

Just class them like a pack of cards with the two Jokers at the top.

First thing you do when playing cards is get rid of the jokers and everything else works out Ok.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

"Maybe if Cameron and Osborne stepped down we may have got someone that could run the country without so many mistakes that those two have made."

Who do you suggest?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......