We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ebay Charity Listings

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Has anyone been watching Adam Hills 'The Last leg' Paralympic comedy chat on C4 after the Paralympics?

Last night someone that made a knitted Adam Hill figure and listed it for £15 with any proceeds made going to Great Ormond St Hospital. They mentioned it in passing as a humorous item and who would want to pay 15 quid for a hand knitted effigy. After the add break it had jumped up to £50, by the end of the show it had reached £9000 (yes 9 grand).

Take a look now at it's current bid value unbelievable!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Looks like a spoof bid to me. (hope I'm wrong)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I don't think so, when it's happened before, Ebay have contacted the bidders and reduced it to confirmed bids by contacting the bidders within a few hours. This one has been around that figure all day, which is why I waited until now to mention it.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

What sort of person makes these bids anonymously? I would have thought that they'd want the limelight.

It does seem to be peaking though.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

What sort of person makes these bids anonymously? I would have thought that they'd want the limelight.

Quite the reverse is true I suspect. There are a huge number of people who quietly and unassumingly support charities in a substantial way.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

What sort of person makes these bids anonymously? I would have thought that they'd want the limelight

There's a lot of wealthy people who like to keep their true worth quiet, and are more than happy to spread their good fortune around.

I know a chap who is worth 8 figures at least, after he sold his dad's company for 9 figures to a much larger company. For a little while he went mad and did the usual stuff, wine, women, song etc.

Then he grew up and now lives in a much smaller house and gives huge gifts to charities. He doesn't shout about the gifts because he'd rather not let the whole world know just how much he's worth...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I can't make a bid just now...I'm too busy knitting the Great Wall of China....

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I was thinking of crocheting Tower Bridge, but I've decided to embroider the Shard instead...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...plain or purl...my china wall is plain...with a tartan trim.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

We're coming into the last 12 hours of this charity auction now.

There's been a steady increase since it got it's initial publicity on Monday night as at least 2 serious bidders are letting it be known that they're still in it. I can't help but think that those that will bid to this value for charity will have a nice round figure of 40, 50 or even £100k in their mind.

How much do we think it'll reach?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Don't know who will win it but at that price I don't think it will be posted, most likely delivered by security firm, just hope it's not G4S most likely lose it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?